Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Booting Windows XP but it's not letting me?

• Please log in to reply

Packet Of Rice Cakes

Packet Of Rice Cakes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
It says on the disc:

Fortis Technology
52x CD-R
80min 700MB

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Well as far as I can ascertain the optical drive on that laptop should recognise CD-R format.

I think I am right in saying that the drive is a modular drive, inserted into a bay in the computer, this sort of drove will have a release latch to take out the drive.
Try that and ensure that the connections are clean and then reinsert it. It is a module bay optical drive it is to the front of the laptop to the right of the touchpad anmd the release catch is on the underside of the laptop

The next thing to try is see if another bootable CD, that means a CD that will boot the computer is recognised.
Is the drive a CD write drive or simply a CD rom drive. It will be indicated on the door of the drive, more than likely.

Without the ability to boot from a CD you are not going very far.

Packet Of Rice Cakes

Packet Of Rice Cakes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
It's a CD rom drive, I can't write any discs with it.

Yep, the drive can be ejected and inserted, I think the connections are clean but also when the drive is inserted into the laptop and you press eject on it, the tray will open so doesn't this mean the drive is working?

I don't have any more bootable CD's also.

And if the drive was actually reading my XP disc, would the 'press any key to boot' come up? Because at the moment nothing comes up at all.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

the tray will open so doesn't this mean the drive is working?

NO, it simply means, exactly that the tray will open, all that is , basically is a release catch.

And if the drive was actually reading my XP disc, would the 'press any key to boot' come up? Because at the moment nothing comes up at all.

Not necessarily, it may automatically read and boot from the CD.

Without blank CD`s, or borrowing another bootable CD, or having whoever made that, make another one you are going no further.

With that CD program I sent you you can format the drive, or you can take the hard drive out, connect it externally to another computer and test the drive. OR you can connect an external CD drive to a USB socket and see if that works

Without ANY of these options it is I think a lost cause.

Please post back when you acquire some or one of these and we can look again at the issue.

NB
Did not notice this post by you when I replied to your post 11.
Windows 2000 could not start because the following file is missing or currupt : \WINNT\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEMced startup options for Windows 2000, press F8.

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows 2000 Setup using the original Setup floppy disk or CD-ROM.
Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair.

But when I press R, nothing happens.

When you press R nothing will happen, because R refers to the option after the line

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows 2000 Setup using the original Setup floppy disk or CD-ROM.
Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair.

and you have not inserted a Windows 2000 (ME) CD rom. so the press R is completely irrelevant.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 23 September 2011 - 03:27 PM.

Packet Of Rice Cakes

Packet Of Rice Cakes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I don't have the Windows 2000 ME Cd rom to insert. Does this mean there is nothing I can do?

And I have some re-writable discs that I can burn things on to.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

I don't have the Windows 2000 ME Cd rom to insert. Does this mean there is nothing I can do?

I know you do not have that as you said so on the other thread, I was pointing out to you, why pressing R was a pointless exercise, as you said when I press R nothing happens.

I suggest you proceed as previously described.

Packet Of Rice Cakes

Packet Of Rice Cakes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
OK, thanks for your help.