Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

The application or DLL C:\PROGRA~1\google\GOOGLE~1\

• Please log in to reply

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
I am signing off now.
Open the link I sent do that please.
The after a restart, check again on the startup tab and see if Windows defender is then NOT listed.

I will work on the startup items when I get chance.
There are FAR too many.

You may safely uncheck the
1 Both Adobe entries,
2.Cyber Link
3. ArcSoft
4. Java
5. Windows defender (if it still there)
6. Google Toolbar Notifier

That will make some difference.
When you say you cleaned the temporary files - did you use the TFC cleaner.

Go to the Windows button - Start
in search type
msinfo32
when it appears at the top of the box, right click and click run as admin.
When it opens click the edit tab, click select all, then click the edit tab again and click copy. ON your reply, right click, click paste.
If you wish edit out from the paste any personal details of user name etc.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 26 October 2011 - 05:25 AM.

Advertisements

delman

delman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
will do all that you suggest.....actually it might be esier for you if you suggest what I should leave checked in the startup list.

thanks

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
It would not actually be as there are more to leave checked than to uncheck.

delman

delman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Good Morning,

Just to catch up;
yes, I did use the TFC cleaner to delete tmp files.

....below is a copy of the info from the msinfo32

OS Name Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium
Version 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2 Build 6002
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name OURTRAVELPC
System Manufacturer Acer
System Model Aspire 5735
System Type X86-based PC
Processor Intel® Pentium® Dual CPU T3400 @ 2.16GHz, 2166 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies LTD V1.08, 9/10/2008
SMBIOS Version 2.5
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.0.6002.18005"
User Name OurTravelPC\Ron & Sharon
Time Zone Eastern Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 2.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 1.93 GB
Available Physical Memory 722 MB
Total Virtual Memory 4.10 GB
Available Virtual Memory 2.84 GB
Page File Space 2.22 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

.....I cleared the Use Windows Defender check box Under Administrator options and click Save. Windows Defender is still in the Startup list but unchecked.

....I may have screwed up by already unchecking many of the items in the Startup list I sent you....below is the new list.

I will be leaving for a couple of hours and will check for your reply when I return......sorry if I caused you more work.

Attached Thumbnails

• startup1.jpg
  • startup2.jpg
  • startup3.jpg

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Yes to that

.I may have screwed up by already unchecking many of the items in the Startup list I sent you....below is the new list.

Go back compare the first list with the second list. Recheck what was in the first list EXCEPT the ones I said to uncheck.

However I notice from the first list on the unchecked items that you have Touch Pad point device unchecked. Check that one.
I did not check which items you had unchecked last night, only those you had checked.
I will do it but you will have to wait a while.
If you do not use the touchpad and use a connected mouse, you may leave it unchecked.

I am slightly concerned that you have such a small amount of physical memory available but it depends what was running when you acquired the system information

Total Physical Memory 1.94 GB
Available Physical Memory 1.24 GB
Total Virtual Memory 4.13 GB
Available Virtual Memory 3.39 GB
Page File Space 2.23 GB

The above is mine with 2Gb ram on Vista. However it depends on what you are running on the computer and Vista manages the memory very well, it will use all the ememory it requires but 722Mb without anything running except your access to System Info is rather less than I would have expected to see. Of course your Anti Virus and Windows itself was running - as indeed mine is when I sent the above.

I think we need to have a further look
Please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests

Here's how:

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others).

Go to: http://www.pcpitstop.com
Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive which is the first on the top left of the eight boxes offering products.
In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!" OR YOU CAN RUN THE TEST ANON. without signing up. - you will see that at the end of that screen. The results will still be saved long enough for me to look at them.
You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)
You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

CAUTION
Please do NOT run any other programs from Pitstop and I advise you to make no changes to your computer from the Pitstop Overdrive recommendations.
I will advise.
That said of course, you may do as you wish. It is of course your computer.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. We prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 26 October 2011 - 08:48 AM.

delman

delman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
ignore this post

Edited by delman, 26 October 2011 - 01:41 PM.

delman

delman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
I rechecked what was in the first startup list EXCEPT the ones you said to uncheck.

.....and here is the URL from the PCPitstop.com run.

http://www.pcpitstop...?conid=24621253

....for what its worth, here's the memory stats with nothing running except what is checked in the startup list

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 2.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 1.93 GB
Available Physical Memory 1.08 GB
Total Virtual Memory 4.10 GB
Available Virtual Memory 3.00 GB

Edited by delman, 26 October 2011 - 01:36 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
One of the possible reasons that your system is slow is that you have installed
Avast - from your Pitstop log
avast! Free Antivirus
(6.0.1000.0)

Below is a copy and paste from the avast site, showing that their product includes anti spyware
This is the copy and paste
Download avast! Free Antivirus 6 Antivirus with anti-spyware.

You therefore do not need, nor indeed do you want, another protection system, running in real time. They will work against each other and may actually offer less protection than one on its own. Additionally they stand every possibility of slowing down the performance.

You also have
Ad-Aware Lavasoft 12/22/10 Posted Image Ad-Aware Lavasoft 12/22/10 Posted ImageThis is the link to their site
http://www.lavasoft.com/

It is not possible from Pitstop results to know which Lavasoft product you have. However it does not really matter.
UNINSTALL LAVASOFT - keep Avast.
That is my recommendation but of course it is your choice.
You may see suggestions that two anti-virus products ir two spyware protection products can run together IN REAL TIME without conflict.
My advice is to ignore that and RUN ONLY ONE.

You can always install a SCAN based product, the choice is wide and some are listed here
http://www.geekstogo...yware-software/

In spyware.adware issues GeekstoGo thinks highly of Super Anti Spyware - but that is just one in our list see the link. The free edition does NOT run in real time.

Please report how it is after doing this. A reboot is necessary after uninstalling Lavasoft. If that is the way you decide to go.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 26 October 2011 - 02:20 PM.

delman

delman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
uninstalled Ad-Aware & re-booted.....performance has definitely improved......I'll say it again GREAT JOB!!!

.....let me know if you still want me to uncheck other programs on the startup list.....thanks very much for your expert advice.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
No the list is OK.
I am pleased it is an improvement.
Come back as you wish of course but from your point of view I hope it is NOT too soon.

In otherwords I hope all goes OK.
Regards
Macboatmaster

Advertisements