Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help getting files off of old win xp drive

• Please log in to reply

leader2

leader2

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
Hi. I had an old comp with Win xp (home edition sp1 I think) installed (dell 400 mhz) and it had a problem that caused the os to need to be reinstalled. For some reason I had to put the drive as the slave because it wouldn't work as the master anymore. when I reinstalled the os it said it reinstalled on the slave drive which I thought was strange, but the computer did work and I was able to save files to it.

When I got my new computer I took this drive out of the old computer and put it into an enclosure. I tried to retrieve the files I had saved on it, but they weren't there. It's like they had never been saved on that drive even though I had saved them on that drive on the desktop and in my documents. I checked those areas and the only files that were there were the ones that had been saved before I had to reinstall the os. It's like the os i had reinstalled had been virtual. I don't know how this happened and found it strange. Has this happened to anyone here before? And someone help me get those files off this drive? I tried to reinstall the drive back into the comp, but for some reason it wouldn't work and I couldn't do anything with it inside the old comp. I just want to get my old videos and an old mp3 off of there. I apologize if I'm not describing this properly. If anyone knows of any questions that they could ask that could help me explain it more clearly please ask.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give. :smile:

PS IMPORTANT: I posted this thread at another forum. Please read the exchanges to see what was said at this link here:

Need help getting files off of old win xp drive

Advertisements