Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer turns off by itself

• Please log in to reply

pzh

pzh

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
Hi here is my problem : My computer turns on and when it is in Windows XP logo it turns off , but sometimes it works and 20 30 minutes and then it turns off again as it happened when i was writing this text xD . Funny thing is that if i have some CD/DVD , in my cd/dvd driver the computer when gets to windows XP logo goes down , or even if turn on computer without the cd , and then i put the CD in driver computer shuts down .
I read some things saying it can be the power supply ( dunno the name of it in english :$ ) .

Thank you very much , and sorry for my really bad english . Sorry if post is in wrong place

Edited by pzh, 12 October 2011 - 01:46 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hello pzh.... Welcome to
GeeksToGo, :)
:yes: :)

I'm sorry to hear about your issue. We will try to help you resolve this as soon as possible.
  • Please understand we are all volunteers and we are not here all the time.
  • Sometimes it may be a extended amount of time to get back to you. If it has been
    more then 3 days please shoot me a PM and I will try to get back to you quickly
    then.
  • Please do the following and supply the requested information as needed. If you
    don't understand my instructions please ask and I will try to explain them
    clearer for you.
  • Do not attempt any steps unless instructed or ask before to
    make sure they will not cause any further issues.
  • If you are receiving assistance in any other forum site please let us know as there may be conflicting advice given.

Before we can help you need to provide the following so I can start you in the right direction.
Laptop or Desktop?
  • If a name brand system then what brand, make and model is the system?
  • If custom built then what brand, make and model is the motherboard
  • Total memory installed
  • Total hard drive capacity and free space
  • What steps have you taken so far to resolve the issue

We need to test the power supply for voltages then using the following steps.

Download Speedfan (The download link is to the right), and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.
The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
To make sure we are getting all the correct information it would help us if you were to attach a screenshot like the one below of your Speedfan results.

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard.
  • It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
  • Now go to Start and then to All Programs
  • Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
  • In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
  • Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
  • Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop
  • Attach it to your next reply

Posted Image

pzh

pzh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Hello pzh.... Welcome to
GeeksToGo, :)
:yes: :)

I'm sorry to hear about your issue. We will try to help you resolve this as soon as possible.

• Please understand we are all volunteers and we are not here all the time.
  • Sometimes it may be a extended amount of time to get back to you. If it has been
    more then 3 days please shoot me a PM and I will try to get back to you quickly
    then.
  • Please do the following and supply the requested information as needed. If you
    don't understand my instructions please ask and I will try to explain them
    clearer for you.
  • Do not attempt any steps unless instructed or ask before to
    make sure they will not cause any further issues.
  • If you are receiving assistance in any other forum site please let us know as there may be conflicting advice given.

Before we can help you need to provide the following so I can start you in the right direction.
Laptop or Desktop?
  • If a name brand system then what brand, make and model is the system?
  • If custom built then what brand, make and model is the motherboard
  • Total memory installed
  • Total hard drive capacity and free space
  • What steps have you taken so far to resolve the issue

We need to test the power supply for voltages then using the following steps.

Download Speedfan (The download link is to the right), and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.
The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
To make sure we are getting all the correct information it would help us if you were to attach a screenshot like the one below of your Speedfan results.

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard.
  • It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
  • Now go to Start and then to All Programs
  • Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
  • In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
  • Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
  • Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop
  • Attach it to your next reply

Posted Image

First thanks for being so fast :) and sorry i was dinnering and took a bit to answer you.

My computer ( desktop) components : Quadcore q6600 2.40 ghz , 2 gb Ram , MSI P35 neo( think is this what you asked for ) , nvidia 8600 gt 512 . and Samsung 500 GB

Haven't done really anything since im not really good with computers , used google search but nothing usefull :) (maybe because im not really good with computers as i said before )

Here it is the speedfan print screen :
Posted Image

If you need someting else tell me please

Edited by pzh, 12 October 2011 - 02:20 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Your voltages look good and your temps are putting good.

Download WhoCrashed from the link in my signature below
This program checks for any drivers which may have been causing your computer to crash....

Click on the file you just downloaded and run it.

Put a tick in Accept then click on Next
Put a tick in the Don't create a start menu folder then click Next
Put a tick in Create a Desktop Icon then click on Install and make sure there is a tick in Launch Whocrashed before clicking Finish
Click Analyze
It will want to download the Debugger and install it Say Yes
WhoCrashed will create report but you have to scroll down to see it
Copy and paste it into your next reply

http://www.resplendence.com/downloads

pzh

pzh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
System Information (local)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

computer name: PISTOLAS-
windows version: Windows XP Service Pack 3, 5.1, build: 2600
windows dir: C:\WINDOWS
CPU: GenuineIntel Intel® Core™2 Quad CPU @ 2.40GHz Intel586, level: 6
4 logical processors, active mask: 15
RAM: 2146676736 total
VM: 2147352576, free: 2057289728

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Crash Dump Analysis

Crash dump directory: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Wed 12-10-2011 19:02:52 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini101211-03.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: nv4_disp.dll (nv4_disp+0x1DB0EC)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xFFFFFFFFE0000001, 0xFFFFFFFFF7807925, 0xFFFFFFFFB36D42F8, 0x0)
Error: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\nv4_disp.dll
product: NVIDIA Windows XP Display driver, Version 280.26
company: NVIDIA Corporation
description: NVIDIA Windows XP Display driver, Version 280.26
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: nv4_disp.dll (NVIDIA Windows XP Display driver, Version 280.26 , NVIDIA Corporation).
Google query: nv4_disp.dll NVIDIA Corporation KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M

On Wed 12-10-2011 14:55:20 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini101211-02.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: nv4_disp.dll (nv4_disp+0x1DB0EC)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xFFFFFFFFE0000001, 0xFFFFFFFFF780F925, 0xFFFFFFFFB35BAEA8, 0x0)
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: nv4_disp.dll (NVIDIA Windows XP Display driver, Version 280.26 , NVIDIA Corporation).
Google query: nv4_disp.dll NVIDIA Corporation KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M

On Wed 12-10-2011 14:16:29 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini101211-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xFFFFFFFFE0000001, 0xFFFFFFFFB7B96925, 0xFFFFFFFFB2B05EA8, 0x0)

Conclusion

3 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. A third party driver has been identified to be causing system crashes on your computer. It is strongly suggested that you check for updates for these drivers on their company websites. Click on the links below to search with Google for updates for these drivers:

nv4_disp.dll (NVIDIA Windows XP Display driver, Version 280.26 , NVIDIA Corporation)

If no updates for these drivers are available, try searching with Google on the names of these drivers in combination the errors that have been reported for these drivers and include the brand and model name of your computer as well in the query. This often yields interesting results from discussions from users who have been experiencing similar problems.

Read the topic general suggestions for troubleshooting system crashes for more information.

Note that it's not always possible to state with certainty whether a reported driver is actually responsible for crashing your system or that the root cause is in another module. Nonetheless it's suggested you look for updates for the products that these drivers belong to and regularly visit Windows update or enable automatic updates for Windows. In case a piece of malfunctioning hardware is causing trouble, a search with Google on the bug check errors together with the model name and brand of your computer may help you investigate this further.

Guess its this what you have requested , thank you again for your help .

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep and it shows your video driver as being the culprit.
So lets try a experiment and see if it happens again.
Boot into Safe Mode With Networking and see if it crashes there. If not then the issue is the video driver and we may have to update it or uninstall the driver and reinstall it to resolve the issue.

pzh

pzh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
Sorry for answering so late , but my computer just died :)
I turn on pc and when it is in windows logo , after that screen stays all black , i think it can be some video Card problem but im not really sure :yes:
So i cant exec computer as Safe Mode with Networking

Thank you

Offtopic : I have another question about buy some new pc components , Shall i open other topic

Edited by pzh, 13 October 2011 - 07:19 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You should never reach the Windows logo if you have clicked the F8 key first and told it to ho to Safe Mode.
You should get lots of text scrolling by and then finally Windows will come up.
If you want to list parts I can assist you here.

pzh

pzh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

You should never reach the Windows logo if you have clicked the F8 key first and told it to ho to Safe Mode.
You should get lots of text scrolling by and then finally Windows will come up.
If you want to list parts I can assist you here.

Imreally sorry if i missunderstood , when i do F8 and choose Safe Mode and Networking ,It get text scrolling , but after that dont appears nothing , only a "_ " blinking .

I already created a new topic but want me to write it here? And delete other topic ?

EDit : Oh i saw you anwsered in the other topic . Thanks

Edited by pzh, 13 October 2011 - 08:39 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK so you may have a startup issue with the OS.

Go HERE to read about this and how to fix.

http://www.geekstogo...en-t159277.html

Advertisements

pzh

pzh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
And when i try to boot as normal mode , and after XP logo stays all black , may it be related or something about video card problem?

Thanks

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Could be but even if the video was bad you should still hear the little music that windows has started. Seeing you are getting a black screen with a blinking cursor suggest a OS issue.

Do you have a XP installation disk we can use for a Repair Installation?

pzh

pzh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
When i start Windows as normal mode i dont get a black screen with a blinking cursor , it only happens when i start windows as Safe Mode .In normal mode i dont even have the blinking cursor .

And yup i do have Windows XP CD .

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Try this and see if it works.

Repair Installation Instructions

· Insert your Windows XP CD in your CD-ROM and then Restart your computer.

· At the first post screen start tapping the Del key to enter System Bios
· Find the Advance Options or Boot Sequence screen.
· You will need to change the boot sequence so that the CDrom is first and the HD is second.
· Press F10 to Save and Exit and then press Enter to accept.
· The system will now reboot
· When the "Press any key to boot from CD" message is displayed on your screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.
· When you see the following message displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen, press ENTER
· To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.
· At this point an option to press R to enter the Recovery Console is displayed. DO NOT SELECT THIS OPTION.

· On the Windows XP Licensing Agreement screen, press F8 to agree to the license agreement.
· Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected and highlighted in the box, and then press the R key to repair Windows XP.
· Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Setup.

You can also go HERE
to read a step by step tutorial with screenshots.

pzh

pzh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
I did repair and the pc did reboot then it booted normal when it is in windows logo it gives BSOD
Shall now i try Safe Mode ?

P.S : Does a format solve the problem? o0 i have some people saying yes (some friends )

Edited by pzh, 13 October 2011 - 11:20 AM.