Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC wont boot. CPU fan spins then stops?

• Please log in to reply

ascblaze

ascblaze

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Built my custom Pc a few months ago. Turned it on and it wouldnt boot. I took it apart and rebuilt it. even tried to boot with the bare bones. I have reset the Cmos and put on some new cpu paste. Even Tried a new Cpu. Windows 7
GIGABYTE 680SLI-DQ6 Motherboard
2x2gb ReaperRAM
500gb Hard drive
800watt PSU

Currently using my ps3.Thanks for your time

Advertisements

ascblaze

ascblaze

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Anyone any idea's ?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I have reset the Cmos and put on some new cpu paste.

Did you remove the cmos battery to reset it?
From your description it sounds like your motherboard and\or cpu has failed. Are you sure the PSU is functioning correctly?

corbek

corbek

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
I agree with Shaffer Mobo could be bad, you did say that you tried a NEW cpu correct? Also, are you sure you properly applied the thermal paste? If it isn't applied correctly the cpu could be shutting off due to heat problems.

I recommend checking out the computer building sticky on the forums if you are new to building pc's.

ascblaze

ascblaze

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Yes Removed the Cmos to reset it.
Thermal paste was applied correctly.
Don't know if its the motherboard or PSU.
How do i check to see which one it is ?
Again appreciate the help.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,781 posts
As the computer is failing the POST (power on self test) it is also possible that the video card or Ram are bad.
Best couple of suggestions I can make would be first remove the MB and do a barebones set-up on a piece of cardboard (make sure it is larger than the MB) only connect the PSU, the GFX card, 1 stick of Ram and the keyboard.
You will then need to short out the 2 power on pins on the MB header to get the PSU to activate, you can use a small flat bladed screwdriver or a paper clip bent into a U shape, this is perfectly safe if you do not touch anything else, the idea is to see if we can get a BIOS screen if you do you can then add one component at a time until you find the problem component, you must power down and remove the power cord from the wall before adding a component, second suggestion try a known working PSU, it is not unknown for new components to be bad, third suggestion try and loan an ordinary PCI graphics card (not pci-e) again to try and get a BIOS screen.
Other things worth checking include, if you used stand offs beneath the MB are they in the correct locations (only where there is a screw hole in the MB) otherwise the MB will short out, check for stray screws or bared wires for the same reason.

NB: Before shorting the pins on the MB check if your MB has an onboard power switch.

ascblaze

ascblaze

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

As the computer is failing the POST (power on self test) it is also possible that the video card or Ram are bad.
Best couple of suggestions I can make would be first remove the MB and do a barebones set-up on a piece of cardboard (make sure it is larger than the MB) only connect the PSU, the GFX card, 1 stick of Ram and the keyboard.
You will then need to short out the 2 power on pins on the MB header to get the PSU to activate, you can use a small flat bladed screwdriver or a paper clip bent into a U shape, this is perfectly safe if you do not touch anything else, the idea is to see if we can get a BIOS screen if you do you can then add one component at a time until you find the problem component, you must power down and remove the power cord from the wall before adding a component, second suggestion try a known working PSU, it is not unknown for new components to be bad, third suggestion try and loan an ordinary PCI graphics card (not pci-e) again to try and get a BIOS screen.
Other things worth checking include, if you used stand offs beneath the MB are they in the correct locations (only where there is a screw hole in the MB) otherwise the MB will short out, check for stray screws or bared wires for the same reason.

NB: Before shorting the pins on the MB check if your MB has an onboard power switch.

Thank you will try this tonight !

Hope its not the GFX card. Just payed £400 for it !
Will report back results tomorrow !

ascblaze

ascblaze

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Placed the motherboard on some cardboard.
Connected the Graphics Card. 1 stick of 2gb Ram and the power pack.
Hit the Power pins with a flat headed screw driver.
The PSU powers up the CPU fan spins then stops. Graphic Card fan doesn't spin however ?

Any idea's now ?
Got a friend who's going to give me his GFX card and PSU, I don't know if his PSU is a 24pin connected will find out tonight.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,781 posts
You have got it covered, replacement PSU first test see how it goes, Dependant on the result the next step would be replacement PSU and replacement GFX card etc until all combinations have been tried.
£400 is serious money for a GFX card what is the brand and model please, does it require 1 or 2X6 pin pci-e connections from the PSU, are the connections secure.
You have said you applied TIM but can I suggest that you read the tutorial by Digerati to ensure it has been applied correctly http://www.geekstogo...rface-material/
Don`t forget to try the second stick of Ram and slot, the first stick or slot could be bad.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you still having problems with your issue?
It has been 27 days since your last response and I was wondering if the issue has been resolved?
If so can you explain how it was resolved so others may be able to fix it if they have the same issue.
If not please let us know and we can continue with helping you to resolve the issue.

Advertisements

ascblaze

ascblaze

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Sorry guys still haven't managed to get it working. Got a Thermaltake Toughpower XT 775W PSU and when i got it it wasn't working. There was a fault so getting replacement sent out this week. Soon as i try it i will post first thing if its fixed with the solution.
Thanks again !

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thanks for the update and we will wait for your update. :thumbsup:

ascblaze

ascblaze

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi again guys....sad news i am afraid.....Still the same issue. Starting to lose hope on this thing !!
Not going to buy a new part until i know what is wrong. Any idea's. Was almost 90% sure it was the PSU !

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The next step would be a bench test,

Disconnect everything from the Motherboard except
  • keyboard
  • mouse
  • video output
  • 20+4 powercable
  • 4/8 pin 12v wire both coming from the powersupply,
  • Cpu fan wire
  • power and reset button to the case
  • case speaker
Now you should have NOTHING connected to the motherboard except what was listed above.

The goal here is just to test the mobo:

If the computer still will not boot up the please remove the motherboard from the computer along with the power supply

place the motherboard on a piece of card board larger than the motherboard,

this will eliminate a short from the mobo to the case which could be a possibility

Install the cpu with, 1 stick ram in dimm 1, power supply, case switch and case speaker
Connect ps2 mouse and keyboard along with the monitor
Repeat the above and power on
If the computer now boots into bios you most likely had a case short so make sure when installing the motherboard in the case that you use standoffs,
and they line up with the mounting holes in the motherboard and none of the standoffs touch anything else on the underside of the board.

Thanks to Cbarnard for these instructions

ascblaze

ascblaze

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Got the motherboard layed out on cardboard.

keyboard
mouse
video output
20+4 powercable
4/8 pin 12v wire both coming from the powersupply,
Cpu fan wire
power and reset button to the case
case speaker
1 Stick of RAM
GFX card

The CPU fan is spinning but it still doesn't boot up ?
Least we have that spinning now !