Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Recurring boot problems on new build

• Please log in to reply

echet

echet

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
Back in May/June I built a new computer. It ran very well, without any major problems until a few weeks ago. I had booted my computer and found that there was no text being displayed at all. Not under the desktop icons, not in the right-click menus, not the task manager. The start menu wouldn't work and I couldn't get a command window open. The same things happened in safe mode as well. I didn't have the patience to deal with it at the time so I just re-installed the OS. I have a separate SSD for the OS so I didn't lose any data, making the decision to re-install easier.

After a few weeks of working well again, the other day my computer wouldn't boot into Windows. I use Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit. Safe mode wouldn't work either. For lack of troubleshooting options, I just re-installed again.

Now, the first time having to start over can be dismissed as a fluke, but after a second time, I'm starting to think something is wrong. How can I determine if my problem is related to the install of the OS iteself, or if there is some hardware failure causing this? Like I said, I have a SSD dedicated to the OS and maybe that contains errors. Also, every now and then, the display driver would crash. Most of the time it recovered but a few times it resulted in a blue screen, even though I had the most updated drivers.

So, I'm torn between thinking the problem is Windows, the SSD or the graphics card. I wanted to check the GPU by removing it and then booting, since I know my motherboard has onboard video. But I couldn't find a port for a monitor plug.

Is there some kind of software that will let me run a diagnostic on my hardware? CHKDSK says there are no errors on the SSD, but I'm not sure I'd trust that. Any help or advice is appreciated.

Advertisements