Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My Netbook's CPU usage is 100%when idle and too slow!

• Please log in to reply

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP
Linux drivers for Ubuntu? That's the main problem with Ubuntu. HP only offers drivers for XP and Win 7 so you are on your own. Right click on My Computer and select Device manager and go through the Audio, Graphics and any other thing that is not a basic PC part and write down as much info as possible on the drivers so that you will know what you are looking for. Then go to the website of the manufacturer and see if they make Linux drivers. Looking at the Ubuntu forum http://ubuntuforums....splay.php?f=130 I see other people have gotten it to work on an HP Mini 110/210 so it should be possible and I expect someone on the forum would be able to help you with it a lot more than I can.

Ron

Advertisements

polepole

polepole

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
What i meant is when i have formatted with XP SP3 where can i get the drivers for compaq Mini 110. In the HP website there are so many drivers and i dont which one are good for Compaq mini.
Thanks

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP
If you go to hp.com and click on Support & Drivers and then on Drivers & Software then put in
mini 110 you will see 172 of them. Try and find one that matches yours (look on the bottom and there should be a tag with the model number). Select your Operating System which is XP and you will get a list of drivers. You usually need to install the Chipset driver first. Then I would install the touchpad (under Driver - Keyboard, Mouse and Input Devices (‏4)), network (Broadcom for wireless, Atheros for Ethernet) , video and audio drivers. Webcam.

polepole

polepole

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
hi
I managed to install another OS which is XP SP3. Now i need to install and antivirus/ant malware, which one do you recommend?
I have already installed some of the drivers.
Thanks.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP
I use the free Avast myself.

http://www.avast.com...ivirus-download

If you are feeling paranoid you might also try the free Online Armor.

http://www.online-armor.com/

You probably do not have the latest Java (Java™ 6 Update 29 or 7 update 1). Get the latest at:
http://www.java.com/en/

Save it to your PC then close all browsers and install it. Note on Java and Firefox. For some reason Java does not remove old consoles from Firefox. Any time you update Java you should do Firefox, Add-ons, Extensions and disable any old Java Consoles

They will look like: Java Console 6.xx. The xx corresponds to the update number. When they switch to 7 update 0 then it will be Java Console 7.

Multiple Java Consoles will slow down the Firefox boot. After any change to Firefox or its extension you should run Speedyfox. (Mentioned later.)

Also make sure you have the latest versions of any adobe.com products you use like Shockwave, Flash or Acrobat.

Whether you use adobe reader, acrobat or fox-it to read pdf files you need to disable Javascript in the program. There is an exploit out there now that can use it to get on your PC. For Adobe Reader: Start, All Programs, Adobe Reader, Edit, Preferences, Click on Javascript in the left column and uncheck Enable Acrobat Javascript. OK Close program. It's the same for Foxit reader except you uncheck Enable Javascript Actions.

To help keep your programs up-to-date you should download and run the UpdateChecker:
http://www.filehippo.../updatechecker/
(You don't need to download Betas and if there is a program you don't use you can just uninstall it rather than update it. You can right click on the updatechecker icon (looks like a downward green arrowhead) and select Settings and tell it no betas. If you don't use MSN Messenger I would not upgdate it. MS installs a bunch of stuff when you do. You can tell the program to not show you that update.)
If you use Firefox or Chome then get the AdBlock Plus Add-on. WOT (Web of Trust) is another you might want to try.
The equivalent to AdBlock Plus for IE is called Simple Adblock and you should install it too: Adhttp://simple-adblock.com/

If Firefox is slow loading make sure it only has the current Java add-on. Then download and run Speedy Fox.
http://www.crystalidea.com/speedyfox . Click on Speedup my Firefox. When it finishes click on Exit.

Be warned: If you use Limewire, utorrent or any of the other P2P programs you will almost certain be coming back to the Malware Removal forum. If you must use P2P then submit any files you get to http://virustotal.com before you open them.

If you have a router, log on to it today and change the default password! If using a Wireless router you really should be using encryption on the link. Use the strongest (newest) encryption method that your router and PC wireless adapter support especially if you own a business. See http://www.king5.com...-120637284.html and http://www.seattlepi...ted-1344185.php for why encryption is important. If you don't know how, visit the router maker's website. They all have detailed step by step instructions or a wizard you can download.

Ron

polepole

polepole

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
Hi i appreciate your help so much so i need to go through the information you have given me and i will get back to you before we close the thread.

a point of clarification: you mean if i get some of the things from utorrent then it means my netbook will be infected again?
regards

Edited by polepole, 19 November 2011 - 10:47 AM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP
You can't really trust anything you get from utorrent or any other P2P service. The files you get come from other people's computers and you don't know where they came from or where they have been. Even if the file started off good it might have been stored on a computer with a file infector virus. If you must get files from P2P then before you open them you should submit the file to http://www.virustotal.com and make sure it is clean before you try to open it or use it.

polepole

polepole

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
Thanks a lot you had informed me to unistall IDM. Can i install it or also it is unsafe?
Regards

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP
I'm not sure it is something you really need and it is something that Combofix removes so I would stay away from it but I'm not familiar with it other than that.

polepole

polepole

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
i appreciate your and i say a BIG THANK YOU.
Although my netbook still takes around 10 min to switc on and i dont why.
But i have appreciated your help so much.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP
Let's see if we can figure out what is slowing it down?

Get Process Explorer

http://live.sysinter...com/procexp.exe

Save it to your desktop then run it (Vista or Win7 - right click and Run As Administrator). Click once or twice on the CPU column header to sort things by CPU usage with the big hitters at the top. Wait a minute or so for things to settle down. File, Save As, Save. Open the file Procexp.txt on your desktop and copy and paste the text to a reply.

Get the free version of Speccy:

http://www.filehippo...download_speccy (Look in the upper right for the Download
Latest Version button) Download, Save and Install it. Run Speccy. When it finishes (the little icon in the bottom left will stop moving), File, Save as Text File, (to your desktop) note the name it gives. OK. Open the file in notepad and delete the line that gives the serial number of your Operating System. (It will be near the top about 10 lines down.) Attach the file to your next post.

Start Run, msconfig, OK
Go to Services tab and click on the box to hide Microsoft Services then uncheck
everything that remains. Go to Startup tab and uncheck everything. OK and
reboot. If it doesn't run faster then go back into msconfig and recheck the
things you turned off. If it helps then go back and turn on a few items each
time until you find the culprit

Start, Run, eventvwr.msc, OK to bring up the Event Viewer. Right click on System and Clear All Events, No (we don't want to save the old log), OK. Repeat for Application. Reboot.

Start, Run, sfc /scannow, OK

SPACE after sfc. This will check your critical system files. If it asks for a CD and you don't have one or it doesn't like your CD just tell it to SKIP.

Start, Run, sigverif, OK

Press Start. This will check your drivers. If you just get a few when it finishes tell me what they are. If you get a lot just look for those with newish dates (since about the time the problem started.)

1. Please download the Event Viewer Tool by Vino Rosso
http://images.malwar...om/vino/VEW.exe
and save it to your Desktop:
2. Double-click VEW.exe
3. Under 'Select log to query', select:

* System
4. Under 'Select type to list', select:
* Error
* Warning

Then use the 'Number of events' as follows:

1. Click the radio button for 'Number of events'
Type 20 in the 1 to 20 box
Then click the Run button.
Notepad will open with the output log.

Please post the Output log in your next reply then repeat but select Application.

Ron

polepole

polepole

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
Hi
I disabled the services and the startup and there was no improvement. I unhid the microsoft and disabled everything and there was no improvement.
What happens is that is i restart it when it is on,then it tuirns on in less than a minute but when you shut it then put it on it takes about 8-10 minutes to turn on.

This is the procexp log

Process PID CPU Private Bytes Working Set Description Company Name
System Idle Process 0 97.66 0 K 28 K
procexp.exe 188 2.34 14,304 K 20,940 K Sysinternals Process Explorer Sysinternals - www.sysinternals.com
Interrupts n/a < 0.01 0 K 0 K Hardware Interrupts and DPCs
wuauclt.exe 3020 5,784 K 5,504 K Automatic Updates Microsoft Corporation
wscntfy.exe 1776 684 K 2,460 K Windows Security Center Notification App Microsoft Corporation
wmiprvse.exe 2044 2,068 K 5,428 K WMI Microsoft Corporation
winlogon.exe 692 6,916 K 4,764 K Windows NT Logon Application Microsoft Corporation
UpdateChecker.exe 1348 18,700 K 22,268 K FileHippo.com Update Checker FileHippo.com
System 4 0 K 240 K
svchost.exe 1024 15,616 K 23,888 K Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft Corporation
svchost.exe 916 3,140 K 4,964 K Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft Corporation
svchost.exe 984 2,044 K 4,480 K Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft Corporation
svchost.exe 1112 1,940 K 4,388 K Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft Corporation
svchost.exe 1140 1,988 K 4,900 K Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft Corporation
svchost.exe 1672 2,716 K 4,592 K Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft Corporation
stacsv.exe 1324 2,308 K 3,852 K IDT PC Audio IDT, Inc.
spoolsv.exe 1276 5,004 K 6,820 K Spooler SubSystem App Microsoft Corporation
smss.exe 620 168 K 388 K Windows NT Session Manager Microsoft Corporation
services.exe 736 1,840 K 3,528 K Services and Controller app Microsoft Corporation
QLBCTRL.exe 932 7,836 K 11,524 K Quick Launch Buttons Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P.
MonServiceUDisk.exe 268 2,020 K 3,112 K
lsass.exe 748 3,988 K 1,004 K LSA Shell (Export Version) Microsoft Corporation
igfxtray.exe 1044 1,068 K 3,692 K igfxTray Module Intel Corporation
igfxsrvc.exe 1412 1,476 K 3,724 K igfxsrvc Module Intel Corporation
igfxpers.exe 940 796 K 3,136 K persistence Module Intel Corporation
iexplore.exe 876 13,928 K 23,248 K Internet Explorer Microsoft Corporation
iexplore.exe 1804 74,692 K 84,984 K Internet Explorer Microsoft Corporation
iexplore.exe 3508 68,028 K 78,468 K Internet Explorer Microsoft Corporation
hpqWmiEx.exe 1852 1,808 K 4,296 K hpqwmiex Module Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P.
hkcmd.exe 1052 1,068 K 3,688 K hkcmd Module Intel Corporation
GrooveMonitor.exe 1056 1,488 K 5,176 K GrooveMonitor Utility Microsoft Corporation
explorer.exe 252 26,684 K 36,444 K Windows Explorer Microsoft Corporation
ctfmon.exe 1396 1,000 K 3,356 K CTF Loader Microsoft Corporation
csrss.exe 668 1,620 K 3,832 K Client Server Runtime Process Microsoft Corporation
Com4QLBEx.exe 2772 848 K 2,968 K Com for QLB application Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P.
alg.exe 752 1,304 K 3,700 K Application Layer Gateway Service Microsoft Corporation

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP
Restore the Setup Utility default settings.

1. Open the Setup Utility by turning on or restarting the device, and then pressing f10 while the “F10
= BIOS Setup Options” message is displayed in the lower-left corner of the screen.
2. Use the arrow keys to select Exit > Load Setup Defaults, and then press enter.
3. When the Setup Confirmation is displayed, press enter.
4. To save your change and exit the Setup Utility, use the arrow keys to select Exit > Exit Saving
Changes, and then press enter.
The Setup Utility default settings go into effect when the device restarts.
NOTE: Your password, security, and language settings are not changed when you restore the factory
default settings.
Exiting the Setup Utility

● To exit the Setup Utility and save your changes from the current session:
If the Setup Utility menus are not visible, press esc to return to the menu display.
Then use the
arrow keys to select Exit > Exit Saving Changes, and then press enter.

polepole

polepole

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
Do i continue with instructions of your previous post before coming to your newest post,coz i didnt finish executing the instructions you gave in your second last post.
Thanks

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP
Try the latest post. IF it doesn't help then finish the previous post. How long does it take to get to the login screen?

Ron