Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My Netbook's CPU usage is 100%when idle and too slow!

• Please log in to reply

polepole

polepole

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
please how can I know what is turned off. thanks .

Advertisements

polepole

polepole

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
please how can I know what is turned off. thanks .

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP
Just go into Command Prompt and type msconfig then either turn all of your microsoft services back on or turn everything back on.

polepole

polepole

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
it says msconfig is not recognized as an internal or external command. can I use run at the start menu. .

polepole

polepole

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
it says msconfig is not recognized as an internal or external command. can I use run at the start menu. .

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP
reboot and try to go into Safe Mode, choose Last known good or try safe mode - command prompt

polepole

polepole

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
I have gone I will continue from there. after work. I appreciate so much of your help. regards

polepole

polepole

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
I have gone I will continue from there. after work. I appreciate so much of your help. regards

polepole

polepole

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
I have restored to most recent system and my internet now is on.
I am downloading now avast and install it. I s there anything i need to do?
Regards

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP
Click on the Avast ball. Then click on Scan Computer, then on
Boot-Time Scan then on Settings. Change the Ask at the bottom to Move to Chest. OK then Schedule Now. Reboot and let it run a scan. It may take hours.
Once it finishes it should load windows. Click on the Avast ball and then on Scan Logs, select the Boot-time scan report then View Results. How many did it find?

I think on XP systems the log file can be found in text form in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AVAST Software\Avast\report\boot.txt if you can find it please copy and paste it.

After it finishes see if you still have a high CPU usage when P&P is turned on.

Run OTL, Quickscan and let's see what it looks like now. You may need to run the Removal tool for Kaspersky Lab products http://support.kaspe.../?qid=208279463

Ron

Advertisements

polepole

polepole

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
is it the home use one or which one?
Thanks

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP
Avast? The free home use one.

polepole

polepole

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
When i try to update it, it informs me that "Failed to update. The Avast! service is not running" What am i supposed to do?
Thank you.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP
Start, Run, services.msc, OK Find the Avast! Antivirus service and right click and select Properties then verify the Startup Type: says Automatic (if not change it and Apply) then Start the service. What error do you get? If it won't start then: Click on Dependencies. Note the services that it depends on. Check if these are running. There is also a Driver involved like aswMonFlt so right click on My Computer and select Manage then Device Manager and View, Show Hidden Devices then find aswMonFlt. Is it happy or does it have a red or yellow mark next to it?

polepole

polepole

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
Hi
When i clicked on properties it brings up this note:

Configuration Manager: The Plug and Play service or another required service is not available.
Ok

When i click ok it brings the Avast! Antivirus Properties (Local Computer) The start up is automatic. when i click ok it just goes, but if i change it to manual then automatic and try to click apply it says access is denied.

On dependencies it depends on aswMon2 and Remote Procedure Call(RPC). I dont know how to check whether they are running.

I went and right clicked on computer and went to Device Manager, it is blank, it shows nothing at all.

When i also put a cursor on the avast ball it says:
avast! Antivirus:WARNING,your system is UNSECURED

That is how far have gone. Next?

Edited by polepole, 11 November 2011 - 02:40 PM.