Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer running slow and not responding. [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Render

Render

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,195 posts
Please go to Speed test and test your connection then share your results by copying provided URL and post it here as an image.

Advertisements

kwillard

kwillard

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Posted Image

My link

Not sure if I posted that correctly.

Edited by kwillard, 01 December 2011 - 11:09 AM.

kwillard

kwillard

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Posted Image

Just did it again to see if there was a difference.

Render

Render

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,195 posts
Do the following:

Restore Internet Explorer default settings.
  • Click on Start and then on Control Panel
  • In Control Panel window click on Network and Internet and then on Internet Options
  • In Internet Properties window click on Advanced tab
  • Under "Reset Internet Explorer setting", click the Reset button.
  • Put a check mark on Delete Personal Settings.
  • Click Apply > OK.

Note: Putting a check mark on Delete Personal Settings will reset your "Home page, Search providers and Accelerators" to default setting.

Let me know results.

Render

Render

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,195 posts
Actually it's a quite big difference in down speed. Is there some wall(s) between router and this computer? Quality of wi-fi signal is good? is there maybe some electric machines which can interfere with wi-fi signal?

kwillard

kwillard

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
I reset Internet Explorer settings. Right now everything seems to be ok. That is why I ran the speed test again before I saw your post about reset Internet Explorer. I had actually already done that about a week ago. Is this a problem with my Internet provider? I have never had any problems like this.

kwillard

kwillard

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
The computer is in the same place that I always keep it. There is a partial wall between it and the router. It is very strange because earlier today I was having a problem accessing anything including the speed test. This afternoon I noticed it was better that is why I ran the speed test again. Yesterday when I posted I was having problems all day but the day before no problems at all. It Is very strange. No Machines other than the TV

Edited by kwillard, 01 December 2011 - 03:16 PM.

Render

Render

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,195 posts
Well... If I'm honest, I don't know.:blush: From your logs I can't see any malware activity. But you are saying that your second computer which is also connected to this router has no these problems. Let's try to reset router now:

Please reset the router to its default configuration. This can be done by inserting something tiny like a paper clip end or pencil tip into a small hole labeled "reset" located on the back of the router. Press and hold down the small button inside until the lights on the front of the router blink off and then on again (usually about 10 seconds).

kwillard

kwillard

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Ok I will go do that now but honestly I have already tried that many times. Should I try to run the speed test on the other computer also? It is an older desktop that is upstairs much further than this one. It is running with a wireless adapter.

Render

Render

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,195 posts
Well... Then you don't need to. Now next step would be... connect your PC directly to modem (without router) with ethernet cable and see if problem persist.

Advertisements

kwillard

kwillard

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
I will try that again. When I did it the last time it gave me the same problems. In other words when the computer is giving me the "internet explorer cannot be displayed problem it does not seem to matter whether I am wired or wireless". I have even tried using a different modem that my ISP had sent me. The only thing I have not tried is changing the Linkys. I really do not think the problem is with my wireless though.

Render

Render

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,195 posts
What kind of connection you have? xDSL, cable...?

kwillard

kwillard

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
DSL Broadband
HSI 8.0M

Render

Render

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,195 posts
I don't know for sure what is wrong here. So you are saying that your second computer works with no problem. In this case probably something is wrong with your first computer. As we can't fix it I would recommend OS reinstall. If second computer has the same problem I would call ISP support to check the line.

kwillard

kwillard

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Second computer is working fine. It is an older desktop which is not as fast as this laptop "usually" is, but seems to have no problems. Okay I really appreciate everything you have done to help me with this. At the moment it is working fine so I will wait for the problems to start again go upstairs and double check that the desktop is not producing the same problems at that time before I reinstall the OS. Appreciate the help!! :)