Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win 7/ESET Security Suite: 2 questions (network and general)

• Please log in to reply

mezigues

mezigues

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
hi all

i have 2 questions about win 7

1/ i use 3 computers at home: 1 which is on 24/7 and which i use as tv/hi-fi/you-name-it, 1 i use for gaming only and a laptop (well, this one i only use when am not home ^^)
of course i've set up a work-group via my ISP's box which is a also a router
my problem is between the 2 desktops which connect, but not rather satisfyingly
one (the tv/hi-fi one) runs XP and uses no firewall, the other win 7 x64 and ESET Security Suite (former NOD 32)

I've checked and double checked every setting on windows 7 side and everything is as it should be (as of this page: http://www.informit.....aspx?p=1405566 ) and yet the network doesn't work as it should:
from the win 7 comp to the XP comp: no problems, network working fine
from the XP comp to the win 7 comp: not quite > a password is asked for browsing content (but none has been set up on win 7's side (AND the "use pw protected connection is unchecked" in win 7's options)

am guessing i have win 7 set up right but not ESET and i've tried finding something wrong in it's settings but didn't find anything...

2/ i've switched to win 7 a few months ago and i've notices when i turn on my comp, it works by itself for a while (say 3 or 4 minutes)
nothing annoying and i can do whatever i want at the same time, but it does occur even if, for example, i've started a big game
i'd just like to know what it it's doing (i don't want to prevent it, i'm guessing it's maintenance and it's better left on)

thanks for your help :)

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

runs XP and uses no firewall

That's a big mistake! You need to at least enable Windows Firewall - NOW!

I don't know ESET well enough to answer, I use Windows Firewall and MSE on my Windows 7 machines and am able to share with my two remaining XP systems as needed. Perhaps an ESET user reading will join in and help.

For your number "2/" problem, you say "it does occur" - I don't know what "it" is. If "it" has nothing to do with the connecting and sharing problem you have in problem number 1, then generally speaking the normal forum protocol is "2 computers, 2 threads".

mezigues

mezigues

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
thanks for your interest

i've enabled XP's firewall, but this comp has been running for years without a single problem and i only use it to watch movies/tv and listen to some music so it's rather safe
anyway, it's on and it doesn't detect anything wrong or interfere, so it's ok

about my questions:
1/ i've almost solved the network problem
i did some searching everywhere in the settings of both comps and turns out the XP one was set to act as if connected to a business network, setting it to home network solved the password problem and now i can browse the win 7's shared folders just fine

still, one little thing bugs me:
on the XP computer, i often use a command (.bat) to turn off the other one (for example after it's done encoding a video or some long work like that)
this is the code:
NET USE computername
shutdown -s -m \\computername -t 10 -c "shutdown in 10s"

for some reason, this is still not working (the code works, since it used to: so something does not allow win 7 to receive this command)
note: UAC is off on win 7's side (basically because it's too annoying anyway)

about my 2nd question: i was just asking what was this maintenance win 7 obviously does for a few minutes when you turn the computer on :) (sorry: my english isn't what i'd like it to be, so it's not always easy to actually make sense ^^)

Edited by mezigues, 14 November 2011 - 04:05 AM.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

i've enabled XP's firewall, but this comp has been running for years without a single problem and i only use it to watch movies/tv and listen to some music so it's rather safe anyway, it's on and it doesn't detect anything wrong or interfere, so it's ok

If it is on your network with other computers and it has Internet access, it can become a target of badguys and a threat to your other computers. So it is always best for any networked computer that has Internet access to be behind a firewall.

I don't mess with batch files much any more but it looks like the syntax might have changed. If you go out to a command prompt and enter shutdown /? you will see the supported switches.

Windows 7 boots differently than XP. With XP, just about every and anything that needed to be loaded was loaded before the user was presented with the Desktop or log in screen. This often resulted in boot times of 4 minutes or longer before the user could start using the computer. Microsoft heeded user complaints about long boot times and now Windows 7 loads only the bare essentials before presenting the user with the Desktop/log in while continuing to load the other stuff in the back ground. So it is common to see lots of disk activity after Windows 7 boots.

mezigues

mezigues

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
thanks for your answers

oh, so win7 actually loads for a while after: very nice, smart move and, yes, it's really great that it starts so fast

i'll look around about these syntax changes and i'll post here if i find a solution, in case someone faces the same problem

:)

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
You are welcome.