Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dozens of scans, disc clean up and defrag up have not improved speed

• Please log in to reply

moe jr

moe jr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
I'll try it again

Nope, it still opens it in Word and you can't understand it?

Edited by moe jr, 28 November 2011 - 04:19 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep that was right. Now we move on to the next step of work. :thumbsup:

Open Autoruns, click on "Logon" tab, and UN-check:

+ "Adobe ARM"
+ "Adobe Reader Speed Launcher"
+ "QuickTime Task"
+ "SunJavaUpdateSched"
+ "MoneyAgent"

When done restart computer and then:

Download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop
  • Please double-click TFC.exe to run it. (Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
  • It will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two. Let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Once it's finished it should reboot your machine. If it does not, please manually reboot the machine yourself to ensure a complete clean.

Download Auslogics Defrag from the link in my signature below. Auslogics Defrag in my opinion is better because:

It does a more comprehensive job at Defragging
It will actually show you what it is doing
At the end of working it will show you how much speed you picked up
You can view a online log of the files that Auslogics defragged
Please do not run any other Auslogics programs other then this one as they may cause unwanted results.

moe jr

moe jr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
ok, finished. It does seem to run somewhat faster but still not as fast as before. In fact, when I open my hotmail account and click the link on your msg to go to the geek site it locks up. I've waited 10 minutes and it still wont connect. So I close the window, try it again and it connects right away. It did that before this clean up and it's still doing that. And if I open 3 or 4 windows I might as well take a nap it works so slow. I'm thinking there has to be other programs draining the memory. As a side note, 2 yrs ago I switched to Internet Explorer 8 and that probably slowed it down 20%, plus I still get a pop up window to a tutorial on how to use it. I'd like to go back to 7 if I knew how. ANy ideas?

Update: I tried to shut down and it locked up, took 5 minutes to shut down and I only had 1 window open. And again when I restarted and opened hotmail and clicked the link to your msg it locked up, I tried it again with a new window and it went right to the site. Also, as I pass my cursor over a link or function there's a slight delay before it shows the description of what I'm trying to do. What's going on?

Edited by moe jr, 28 November 2011 - 08:04 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK no problem we will continue.

Go to

Start and then to Run
Type in Chkdsk /r Note the space between k and /
Click Enter ...It will probably ask if you want to do this on the next reboot...click Y
If the window doesn't shutdown on its own then reboot the system manually. On reboot the system will start the chkdsk operation
This one will take longer then chkdsk /f

Note... there are 5 stages...
It may appear to hang at a certain percent for a hour or more or even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...
DO NOT SHUT YOUR COMPUTER DOWN WHILE CHKDSK IS RUNNING OR YOU CAN HAVE SEVERE PROBLEMS
This can take several hours to complete.
When completed it will boot the system back into windows.

Reboot after your done running chkdsk /r...
then Go to Start...Run and type: eventvwr.msc press Enter
When Event Viewer opens, click on Applications... then scroll down to Winlogon and double-click on it. This is the log created after running Checkdisk...copy and paste the log back here

We will advise after studying the log.

moe jr

moe jr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Well, it looks like we have a problem. I followed your steps and watched as it went thru stage 3 and stage 4, then I left it alone for about an hour, came back and it was back to the desk top. I assume it was done but I tried to go to internet explorer and the desktop icons would disappear for a second, I still had the Dell background, but then it would show the desktop icons again and not let me connect. I also went to the start menu and tried to shut down and same thing. I tried to bring up the log and I get an error msg and it says it has to shut down. My computer can't be used at all. I'm at the library sending you this right now.

All that happened last night, it's the same today.

Edited by moe jr, 29 November 2011 - 02:38 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Something else is causing all this as it would not have been caused by chkdsk.
Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, try the Hitachi DFT CD Image version of the software

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

moe jr

moe jr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Well the first problem is I can't connect to the internet so I can't go to www.tacktech. I'm at the library and can't burn any cd's here. And the rest of your instructions are beyond my skills. I don't know what a bootable floppy or cd is or what you're suppose to do with them. As far as something else causing this I've never seen this since I bought this computer. It worked before running chkdsk and doesn't work after running chkdsc. Is my computer ruined?

I googled 'no reboot after check disc' and there's a lot of people having problems after running chkdsc. Can you at least tell me how to reboot or shutdown my computer?

I tried running chkdisc again but it wont because I cant reboot.

Edited by moe jr, 29 November 2011 - 08:28 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Do you have the original OS disk?

How To Run Chkdsk /r from Recovery Console:

How to run checkdisk from recovery console (Windows xp). (Courtesy dsenette)
  • Insert the Windows XP startup disk into the floppy disk drive, or insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.
    Note:Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted to do so.
  • When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
    Note:If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console.
  • When you are prompted to do so, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.
  • At the Recovery Console command prompt, type the following then press Enter:

chkdsk /r

• Allow this to run UNDISTURBED until completed (45 min or so)
  • Report any errors

moe jr

moe jr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
by os disc you mean?

moe jr

moe jr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
I'll try and find it.

Edited by moe jr, 29 November 2011 - 08:58 PM.

Advertisements

moe jr

moe jr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Well, I found the windows xp disc, popped it in, heard it spin and then it stopped. I went to my computer, saw all the files on the disc and tried to manually open the set up file, it started to spin then stopped. I don't know what to do. Can you please tell me how to turn off my computer(without doing any damage)it's been on for 2 days. Thank you.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I'm not sure what you mean you can't shut down.
Just go to Start and then click on Restart.
The system should restart. You have to make sure the boot sequence is set for the cdrom to be the first boot device.

moe jr

moe jr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
What I mean is the window which offers: standbye, shutdown and restart, does not open after I click 'turn off computer' from the start menu. So I can't shut down. Same thing happens when I try to connect to the internet, the desk top disappears for a split second then goes back to the desktop. So, I took it upon myself to do something. At this point I had nothing to lose so I turned off my computer with the power button, powered back on and nothing happened as far as changes, went right back to the desktop and no response like before. Finally, after the 4th try it did open the restart/shutdown window and also allowed me to connect to the internet. Go figure? Anyways I punched in event viewer and I had over 20 entries under 'Winlogon' all but 1 said "The shell stopped unexpectedly and explorer.exe was restarted" here's the log from the one that didn't:

Event Type: Information
Event Source: Winlogon
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1001
Date: 11/30/2011
Time: 10:13:49 AM
User: N/A
Computer: NUMEROUNO
Description:
Checking file system on C:
The type of the file system is NTFS.

Cleaning up minor inconsistencies on the drive.
Cleaning up 1 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 1 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 1 unused security descriptors.
CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
Usn Journal verification completed.

39045982 KB total disk space.
24999192 KB in 79829 files.
29796 KB in 6683 indexes.
0 KB in bad sectors.
208906 KB in use by the system.
65536 KB occupied by the log file.
13808088 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
9761495 total allocation units on disk.
3452022 allocation units available on disk.

Internal Info:
a0 f9 01 00 fc 51 01 00 be ad 01 00 00 00 00 00 .....Q..........
da 17 00 00 00 00 00 00 5b 08 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........[.......
b0 18 40 0b 00 00 00 00 6c f6 34 6d 00 00 00 00 [email protected]....
06 86 fe 06 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ................
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 a8 fd 45 82 00 00 00 00 ..........E.....
99 9e 36 00 00 00 00 00 90 38 07 00 d5 37 01 00 ..6......8...7..
00 00 00 00 00 60 d4 f5 05 00 00 00 1b 1a 00 00 .....`..........

Windows has finished checking your disk.
Please wait while your computer restarts.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft....ink/events.asp.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Rerun chkdsk again to make sure it got everything.

moe jr

moe jr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
I ran it again and it did the same thing, locked up at desktop afterwards. I shutdown with the power button, restarted and here's the latest log. How do I know if it cleaned up everything?

Event Type: Information
Event Source: Winlogon
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1001
Date: 11/30/2011
Time: 1:50:11 PM
User: N/A
Computer: NUMEROUNO
Description:
Checking file system on C:
The type of the file system is NTFS.
Cleaning up minor inconsistencies on the drive.
Cleaning up 2 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 2 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 2 unused security descriptors.
CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
Usn Journal verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying file data (stage 4 of 5)...
File data verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying free space (stage 5 of 5)...
Free space verification is complete.

39045982 KB total disk space.
25099224 KB in 81197 files.
29896 KB in 6694 indexes.
0 KB in bad sectors.
209930 KB in use by the system.
65536 KB occupied by the log file.
13706932 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
9761495 total allocation units on disk.
3426733 allocation units available on disk.

Internal Info:
a0 f9 01 00 5f 57 01 00 9b b7 01 00 00 00 00 00 ...._W..........
da 17 00 00 00 00 00 00 5c 08 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........\.......
ba d1 96 0a 00 00 00 00 32 c9 5d 6a 00 00 00 00 ........2.]j....
68 97 30 07 00 00 00 00 74 95 ba d2 04 00 00 00 h.0.....t.......
0a a5 e4 51 01 00 00 00 f2 82 e5 a3 06 00 00 00 ...Q............
99 9e 36 00 00 00 00 00 90 38 07 00 2d 3d 01 00 ..6......8..-=..
00 00 00 00 00 60 ef fb 05 00 00 00 26 1a 00 00 .....`......&...

Windows has finished checking your disk.
Please wait while your computer restarts.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft....ink/events.asp.