Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Gateway laptop booting problems

• Please log in to reply

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
The matter is NOT finished. We need to carry out more tests
Please continue or it may well occur again.

That said, thanks for posting the appreciation and especially as I now know you will be doing this :rockon:

Advertisements

Lydi

Lydi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Oh ok, what's the next step? :)

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Please do this

Please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests

Here's how:

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others).

Go to: http://www.pCPitstop.com
Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive PLEASE DO NOT RUN ANY OTHER utility from Pitstop except the Overdrive test
In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!" OR YOU CAN RUN THE TEST ANON. without signing up. - you will see that at the end of that screen. The results will still be saved long enough for me to look at them.
You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)
You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. We prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine.

Lydi

Lydi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Ok, I turned on the laptop and went to the website, but right before I could scan it my browser froze and after a while of staying like that I restarted the computer, but then it wouldn't fully turn on anymore, I tried doing the recovery console disk thing again but after being at 69%, it said there was a problem and could not proceed anymore. It still won't turn on all the way

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Ths was my fear right from the start.

You either have a failing hard disk
"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut doen to prevent damage to your computer.
UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME"

which has now failed, perhaps more likely in view of the fact that it will not even now turn on -
you have some other error possibly a motherboard fault, or the power circuit part of the laptop.

I fear the worse, I am sorry to tell you.

1. Try without the battery.

2. Try the power button as suggested in one of my first posts

If you cannot get it to boot - even to BIOS screen, there is, I am sorry to say, on online help, little that can be done to assist.

We will however do our best of course, TRY my 1 and 2 please.

HOW has it been since 30 Dec or has it NOT been uised.

Did it indicate WHAT the problem was on the recovery console.
MAYBE a temperature issue.
Running laptops on soft surfaces such as ON YOUR LAP is the sure way to damage one.

Lydi

Lydi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
It does boot to the BIOS screen, it does everything that it did at the very begining, it turns off and on by itself. I'm just not able to have it turn on all the way like after using the recovery disk the first time. I will try it now without the battery :)

Lydi

Lydi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Theres a problem now :/ I tried those steps and it doesn't work, and if I try Puting the recovery disk nothing comes up now just a black screen with:
"PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM.
Operating System not found"

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
PXE-061: Media test failure, check cable
PXE-M0F: Exiting Intel PXE ROM

This issue is often caused by either an incorrect setting in CMOS - BIOS or a bad boot device, such as a bad hard disk drive.

Take out the hard drive, buy or borrow an enclosure, connect it to another computer by usb see if it can be accessed.
With the first error and it then being fixed, until you tried to use the drive again, I suspect the hard drive.

DO NOT spend more than absolutely necessary, in case it is the motherboard, in which case it is an uneconomical repair.

The reason I am going for the drive is that this from my previous

chkdsk C: /r note please the space between chkdsk and C and C: and the slash /r
When it completes exit the recovery console, take out the CD and see if you can get a boot to Windows, normal mode or Safe Mode.

solved the problem, the system booted to windows and now it has gone again.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Lydi

It is now some 17 days since your last post on the thread.
Have you managed to make any progress.
Please do let us know.