Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System Recovered From Serious Error

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
AHH ok now I understand
the instructions should be just memtest86+-4.20.iso
The B you are seeing is a typo which I have now corrected.

Advertisements

joseph456

joseph456

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
Thanks.

So far 3 passes and no errors. Should I continue?

When I stop do I remove the disk first, than ESC, then reboot?

Edited by joseph456, 19 December 2011 - 05:13 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Just click esc and then remove the disk. The system should reboot on its own then.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I am seeing nothing that indicates any issue at this point.
The original error message you posted could just have been from the system being shut down incorrectly. Since then has the system rebooted correctly with no other error messages?

joseph456

joseph456

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
Yes reboots with no problems and no errors.

However the Event Log File is corrupt in Event Viewer/System. No errors in Event Viewer/Application.

Ok to let CCleaner delete the Memory Dump and Minidump Logs?

Edited by joseph456, 19 December 2011 - 05:43 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I'm not a fan of Ccleaner but if you can do it without messing with the registry that is fine.
BTW I noticed a lot of topics this month on your system and just was wondering if this all the same system?

joseph456

joseph456

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
No - all those issues you see were for a Gateway M675 laptop.

One issue - removing Combofix was related to the desktop.

Is there any way to fix Event Viewer so that it begins logging again?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Only posting to say, it appears the the same computer on which joseph456 asked for advice on the uninstallation of NetFramework. A thread on which I had a slight involvement.

As that one had PGP Shredder installed and from the opening post on THIS thread - this one does.

after providing the password to the PGP program

Hope you do not mind the interjection.

Good Evening
joseph456

Sorry to see you back so soon - ONLY from your point of view of course.
Macboatmaster

joseph456

joseph456

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
Not at all.

The desktop has (required) PGP encryption software and also .NET Framework 4 is required for particular software installation. Desktop is also accessed remotely and had the problem this morning (as well as the ComboFix) issue.

Laptop does not have PGP and .NET Framework 4 is not installed (3.5 is). That is the one you helped with regarding the Red X and is running better than ever thanks to you.

May have been my mixup in posting pictures of icons on desktop and laptop in same response?

I apologize for the confusion.

I know what you mean - was not happy to see the error on the desktop when booting since it is only about 2 years old.

Edited by joseph456, 19 December 2011 - 06:08 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
As I stated the error usually happens when the system is shutdown incorrectly or lost power.
Also you can run Ccleaner as long as you stay away from the registry as this could cause more problems.

Advertisements

joseph456

joseph456

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
Thanks for your help. I appreciate your prompt and knowledgeable responses.

There could have been a power outage.

Is there any way to fix Event Viewer so that it begins logging again? Under Event Viewer/System when I click on it it says "The event file log is corrupt."

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
joseph456

I apologise.
I see NOW the reason I was confused.
When we working on the long thread in what started as the RedX in place of images, you then asked about another problem and IT WAS MY FAULT for not noticing that it was on another computer.

On the thread regarding Microsoft Net Framework issues, on which I had just a slight involvement you posted

On another note - not wanting to start another thread I am having a minor issue with different icons showing up when I view my Office Desktop (See first photo) and then when I review it remotely. The icons are different and I am not sure why. They used to be the same until I was having an icon problem with the desktop and reset the icons remotely using Tweak UI. Not a big problem but annoying.

YOU CAUGHT ME OUT AGAIN :lol:
As that post was a DIFFERENT computer to the NetFramework issue.

I realised that desktop was the same as THIS desktop.
I was not referring to the RedX thread but the Microsoft Net Framework issues.- thread ON the second computer you mentioned, which I again did not notice it was a different computer

I saw PGP File Shredder on them both.

Good Luck and all the best for Xmas and the New year.

Once again my apologies to both of you for the interruption.