Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

get-answers-fast redirects, slow loading vista system

• Please log in to reply

Jintan

Jintan

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 904 posts
Ah, really just one remnant Registry change to make. Update me please on what all are still issues there?

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\policies\system]
"disableCAD"=-
Go to Start Search, type notepad.exe in the Start Search box. Notepad.exe will appear at the top of the Menu. Rightclick on it and choose "Run as administrator"., and copy the text inside the box above and paste it into the open Notepad textbox.

Save this to your desktop as "fixer.reg"

Be sure to include the "" quotes in the name.

Then right click fixer.reg, select Merge, and allow it to merge the new information with the Registry.

Advertisements

builder4580

builder4580

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
Done.
Rebooted
Windows Error Recovery is the first item to appear (was appearing before action above) with two options -
Launch Startup Repair (highlighted as recommended)
Start Windows Normally

I choose Start Windows Normally as when I launch startup repair, it does it's thing and ends with the message
Windows can not be repaired automatically.
My DVD is working correctly.
My external screen is still black.

builder4580

builder4580

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
post#106
Go here and download the Nvidia driver. For now, just run that and see if it will overwrite the existing info. If not, go to Programs and Features and uninstall any Nvidia graphics listings there, reboot, then do the install.

This is the operation I was doing when I lost my external monitor. I did the install with two black screens! Using my torch, I read that the download - or was it the install? - was unsuccessful.
This was the point at which the decision to replace the inverter was made.

Jintan

Jintan

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 904 posts
??? Have to wonder how that all came on so quickly. That Registry change was a simple policy change, and unlikely to lead to anything at all, other than the simple change. Startup repair (and a few other repair options) really only works when run from a Vista install CD/DVD. Do you have a copy available, or can borrow one?

builder4580

builder4580

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
??? Have to wonder how that all came on so quickly.
Not sure if you realized my last post (#123) was referring to post #106 - of Feb 7th.
I still do not have a Nvidia driver installed.
Should I follow the instructions in post 106 and reattempt the download and install?
I have the Vista Install disc somewhere - let me go and find it.
I didn't mention in post #122 that when I boot, I also get a background message that
Windows media center store update manager has stopped working.

builder4580

builder4580

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
I have two reinstall disks -
1. Drivers and Utilities for reinstalling Dell XPS M1330 Computer Software
Contenets: Device drivers, Diagnostics and utilities.
2. Reinstallation DVD - Windows Vista Home Premium 32Bit

Jintan

Jintan

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 904 posts
See if that DVD will work, following these steps to run the repair.

builder4580

builder4580

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
Turned my computer off.
Inserted reinstall disc in dvd slide - would not close properly.
Started computer, Dvd slide closed and I heard spinning.
Dell logo appeared, followed by Windows Error Recovery notification with the options
Launch Startup repair
Start Windows Normally
- so, the system did not boot from the recovery disc.
I ran the Launch startup repair, but it performed as it always has.
I shut down the pc with the Reinstall disc left in the dvd tray.
Restarted, but still got the same Windows Error Recovery notification

builder4580

builder4580

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
No messages for a week now. Just checking.
Did my last response not generate an email?

Jintan

Jintan

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 904 posts
No, I just checked back through my emails and found the notification. I blew it, and apologize. Too much emphasis on a smaller forum where we got short handed, but no excuse.

Not real sure about that DVD door not closing properly - not sure I have run into that one, except for a dying DVD drive.

But maybe we are overlooking a commonly known fix on this one.

Go to Start Search, type regedit in the Start Search box. Regedit.exe will appear at the top of the Menu. Rightclick on it and choose "Run as administrator".

In the Registry Editor, navigate to the following key (use the "+" symbols in the left panel to expand the tree entries):

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Click on that hilighted key. Then in the right column under Name, if either of these show, right click them and select Delete:

UpperFilters
LowerFilters

Then just close the Registry Editor. If neither showed there, just post back here. If you did deletions, reboot and try the DVD drive again please. Those settings may hold remnants of some software you no longer use, so kinda get "locked" to no where.

Advertisements

builder4580

builder4580

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
I just checked back through my emails and found the notification.....
No problem. I figured you probably get a mountain of emails and
may have missed mine. The break was good for me too. Gave me a little time
to catch up on my project.
Did the regedit, but neither upper or lower filters show.

Jintan

Jintan

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 904 posts
Ah, may just need to tell the system to boot from the DVD. If the DVD is working, at that first boot level, Windows is not involved, so wouldn't be a Registry factor after all. Does the first boot up logo screen show an option for a key to press for a Boot Menu, so you can change it to the CD/DVD-ROM drive? Dell's use F12.

builder4580

builder4580

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
Launch Startup repair
Start Windows Normally

are the only options offered under the windows error recovery notification
that opens on boot-up.
The only other line states that highlighted (Launch startup repair)choice
will start automatically in 30 seconds.
Should I continuously click F12 as the system boots? (Like I do F8 to boot to Safe Mode)

Jintan

Jintan

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 904 posts
Sometimes the CD/DVD disk itself is just not going to be picked up as a bootable device. But I think you're just going to have to figure a technique using F12 to get to the Boot Menu, like you mentioned. You could also access the BIOS - likely the Del key or F2. You may see the Setup key option during startup. Once there you use the arrow keys to navigate, locate the Boot Sequence options, and make the DVD drive the first boot choice. Save those settings, and see if it boots from the disk.

builder4580

builder4580

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
My computer system currently will boot and give me access to the internet.
While it is less than perfect, it is certainly better than when we started this project.
Now we are getting into an area that is beyond my limited knowledge, and I would rather
have a system working less than perfectly than no system at all.
I think the time has come for me to bite the bullet and take my laptop to a service center.
Thanks a lot for your help to this stage. When I have had my laptop serviced, I will post
back here with what was done. I think I can edit a closed post - can't I?