Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista Ultimate 32Bit- Frezing Solid Intermitently

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts
To defrag your HDD http://www.auslogics...re/disk-defrag/ do this at least once a week in the future, a tidy drive is a faster drive, please note that I am not suggesting that you use any other product or service here.

NB: Speedfan results are also required please.

I would like to check these so post a screenshot as requested please!

To capture and post a screenshot;
Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload...
then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions courtesy of happyrock :thumbsup:

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
phillpower2

Is it OK to come in with a couple of observations, when you have the results you are asking for.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts
Sure thing Macboatmaster pitch in now if you like :thumbsup:

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Aaron Bongart (Voyland)

My colleague phillpower2 will take the lead on the thread, but I have a couple of requests and observations.

1. What actual ram is installed please. I notice you have 4GB.
What is the make and full specification please.

2. Have you overclocked or ARE ALL settings default, especially the ram settings - have you manually configured ram voltages etc.

3. You appear to have a BETA release EVGA Precision 2.1.0. installed on 4 Dec 2011.
Is the graphics card the
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti
The EVGA card - the fact it is shown on Pitstop as Nvidia simply means that Pitstop has recognised the Nvidia chip.

4. Your graphics driver 285.62 was installed on 13 Dec last year
DID YOU HAVE PROBLEMS before then please.

5. On 13 Dec you installed PC TOOLS REGISTRY Mechanic - it is NOT a program you want on your computer.
HOWEVER of far greater importance is - presuming you have run the program - was this in an atempt to solve a problem or DID you in fact NOT have a problem before you used the registry mechanic.
Please be assured that it has every chance of doing nothing to solve a problem and yet is quite good at creating them.- PROBLEMS

Aaron Bongart

Aaron Bongart

• PipPip
  • 30 posts

Aaron Bongart (Voyland)

My colleague phillpower2 will take the lead on the thread, but I have a couple of requests and observations.

1. What actual ram is installed please. I notice you have 4GB.

2. Have you overclocked or ARE ALL settings default, especially the ram settings - have you manually configured ram voltages etc.

3. You appear to have a BETA release EVGA Precision 2.1.0. installed on 4 Dec 2011.
Is the graphics card the
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti
The EVGA card - the fact it is shown on Pitstop as Nvidia simply means that Pitstop has recongised the Nvidia chip.

4. Your graphics driver 285.62 was installed on 13 Dec last year
DID YOU HAVE PROBLEMS before then please.

5. On 13 Dec you installed PC TOOLS REGISTRY Mechanic - it is NOT a program you want on your computer.
HOWEVER of far greater importance is - presuming you have run the program - was this in an atempt to solve a problem or DID you in fact NOT have a problem before you used the registry mechanic.
Please be assured that it has every chance of doing nothing to solve a problem and yet is quite good at creating them.- PROBLEMS

NOTHING is overclocked... EVERYTHING is default settings with the exception of the RAM settings in bios are configured to the specification that my RAM suggests to configure it to. I have PNY RAM 2 2 Gig Sticks. I installed Registry mechanic Long after the problems started in attempts to fix them. I did have problems before I upgraded my graphics driver. The graphics card is in fact a 560 Ti.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
1. Which PNY ram please.

The graphics card is in fact a 560 Ti.

WHICH please
http://www.amazon.co...sl_147gdzr1bd_b

3. AND what settings do YOU have for the ram please

Aaron Bongart

Aaron Bongart

• PipPip
  • 30 posts

1. Which PNY ram please.

The graphics card is in fact a 560 Ti.

WHICH please
http://www.amazon.co...sl_147gdzr1bd_b

3. AND what settings do YOU have for the ram please

The RAM is DDR 3, 2 sticks. Each stick is 1 gb Ram. Dual Channel I am not sure how to find out the voltage or speed without going into the bios and I am defragging right now.

The graphics card I have is the 560 TI 3gb one. The only one that has 3 gb of video ram.

I will check the settings for RAM after I defrag but if I remember correctly the default bios setting was "AUTO" I changed it to the number on the case the ram came in which is what it is supposedly designed to run at.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts
Aaron Bongart
Can I ask why you are reluctant to provide the Speedfan readings I have asked for.

In an earlier reply you said that you had recently replaced your PSU, what brand and model/output of PSU are you now using?

The graphics card I have is the 560 TI 3gb one. The only one that has 3 gb of video ram.

Provide a link to the card please so that we can look at the system requirements.

Below are the Minimum requirements a well known brand states is required for one version of their 560Ti;

Requirements
Minimum of a 700 Watt power supply.
(Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 50 Amps.)

Aaron Bongart

Aaron Bongart

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
Sorry if I seem reluctant. I will do this right now.

I have a gamer series 880 Wat PSU. Problem occurred before I replaced PSU. problem still occurs after.
The PSU is ATX.

I do not think I still have the box for the video card. Is there some way I can get you the information you want other than opening up my case?

Attached Thumbnails

• speedfan.jpg

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Aaron Bongart
Also I did type a post in reply to your reply post 37, but on clicking post, the site went down and GeekstoGo was offline, for sometime.

You say you have two sticks of 1Gb each, but Pitstop says you have 4Gb ram in two by 2Gb

The RAM is DDR 3, 2 sticks. Each stick is 1 gb Ram

However in an earlier post you did say it was 2 x 2Gb

According to MSI the ram tested on that board is
http://www.msi.com/f...t/TR10_2229.pdf

but of course they cannot test ALL ram and PNY is not listed.

HOWEVER the PNY memory configurator for that board lists these as the suitable ram
http://www.pny.fr/m/...y_configurator/

DIM102GBN/10660/3CBX the 2Gb

DIM101GBN/10660/3CBX the 1Gb

So with both of us having a desire to try and solve this for you, we really DO need to know - which you have.
As well as what my colleague has said regarding the graphics.

I have had a look at some of those cards and it is impossible to determine on the information we have - which is yours.
Indeed some of them have TWO power connectors.
With any card of that spec you must of course have these connected, you cannot simply draw power from the PCIe bus.

The most common cause of your problem, in my experience, ignoring the possibility of a hardware defect is incorrect settings for the ram, unless you have also altered other settings - which you say you have not.

If it was me, I would email MSI support and ask for their opinion on the ram and what settings they recommend.
I am not, for one moment intending criticism of your ram purchase, but it has to be said that I think you may find a response from PNY, a little less forthcoming than you would from Crucial for example.

That said I would also try PNY.

ALL THIS does not mean that we are trying to say we can go no further, but simply that whilst we proceed, the additional precaution of an email to MSI and PNY would not go amiss.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts
Thanks for the screenshot, it is showing a high temp and a low +12V rail so I suggest running Everest and see what that reports;

Download and install Free Everest Home Edition http://www.filehippo...d_everest_home/

Open it.
1: In left pane expand Computer folder.
2: Click once on Summary
3: In upper menu, go Report
4: And then to Quick Report-Summary
5: Save it in text file, and paste it in your next post.
Click the + by computer, click on Sensor. Get a screenshot and post it so your temps and voltages can be checked.

DO NOT INCLUDE ANYTHING UNDER THE LINE THAT SAYS "DEBUG- PCI"

Can you not remember the brand name of the card :confused:
Thats a serious card and costs a serious amount of money to forget the details :D

NB: You can uninstall Speedfan at your leisure :thumbsup:

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I have posted separately to my last so that you do not miss it.

PLEASE do as phillpower2 has asked, before you EVEN consider this, and we still do need the ram and graphics specs.

However please see this
http://www.msi.com/p...html#/?div=BIOS

We are always hesitant to suggest a BIOS update.
It can go wrong.
If it does you may not even get a BOOT.
It must be done, if you to proceed using the MSI Live Update.
http://www.msi.com/s...pdate-5-Manual/

It seems to me from what I have read that if you DID NOT update the BIOS before installing that card and the ram then hyou should give it consideration.as BIOS 1A for instance deals with improved ram and graphics card compatability Of course all more recent BIOS versions will incorporate that enhancement.

See this
http://forum-en.msi....?topic=152400.0

The seventh post is interesting and reinforces what I said about raising a support ticket with MSI

Aaron Bongart

Aaron Bongart

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
I may have mistyped. I am pretty sure I said I had 2 sticks. each worth 2 gbs. I will do the tests suggested by both of you as soon as possible.

Phil I already included everest results in this thread. I also checked the bios to see and my voltages are withing the safe parameters listed.

keep in mind I ran something like 16 passes with memtest on my ram and found no issues.

I understand that intermittent failures are more difficult to diagnose then consistent ones.

I do not think that the video card is the culprit only because the problems started BEFORE I upgraded the video card. The problems also started BEFORE the new PSU.

So I have replaced pretty much everything but the OS, when I have free time I may just get a junk hard drive and instal vista on it then leave it running idle and see if it hangs like my current set up does when I dont have stuff running in the backround.

However College keeps me busy so I am hard pressed for time.

Edited by Aaron Bongart, 11 February 2012 - 12:29 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Not to make a point but clarification was needed

I am pretty sure I said I had 2 sticks. each worth 2 gbs

From your post 37.

The RAM is DDR 3, 2 sticks. Each stick is 1 gb Ram

From your post 35.

I have PNY RAM 2 2 Gig Sticks

RAN 16 passes on Memtest
That ONLY tests the RAM it does NOT examine the serttings for the ram.
The ram will still pass, even if the ram and its compatability to the M/B and the ram settings are the cause of this problem

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts
http://www.outletpc.com/uc1132.html Is this your PSU?