Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Replacement HDD for Vista Laptop

• Please log in to reply

bigbirdga

bigbirdga

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I need to replace the HDD in my Lenovo Vista laptop. Current drive is WD3200 BEVT- 22ZCT0. which is discontinued.
Drive is starting to show SMART errors with excessive bad sector substitution, but is still running fine at this time.
I want to get ahead of the game, so I have backed up all critical files and made reinstall disks using the recovery utility on the machine.

Now, I need to get a new drive. Sine the BEVT-22ZCT0 is discontinued, I can only find used or high priced new ones.
Can I use a later model WD scorpio blue SATA 2 drive as a replacement? Is there a compatibility table somewhere?
Thanks

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,799 posts
:welcome: bigbirdga
The majority of laptop/notebook HDDs are the same dimensions;

Form Factor2.5"

Height (maximum)9.5mm
Width (maximum)69.75mm
Length (maximum)100.3mm

What particular model of Lenovo is it so we can do some research.

bigbirdga

bigbirdga

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks, it is a Y550 (Model #4186)
The form factor is probably "standard" and I would think a WD3200 from the same "family" would work as long as there is not some custom pin configuration for the Lenovo, but I thought I would ask before assuming. I believe this drive was also used in the Mac Book of the same era.
Any suggestions for a replacement at a reasonable price point would be appreciated. I'm relegating this machine to the 8 yr old granddaughter if I can fix it.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,799 posts
I would stick with a brand that you know is compatible http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822136197 but http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822152209 has a 3 year warranty as opposed to the WD 2 year.

bigbirdga

bigbirdga

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks, Great help!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,799 posts
You are welcome :thumbsup:
Let us know how it works out or if we can assist with anything further.