Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Temporary internet files

• Please log in to reply

tyler4402

tyler4402

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
Hi all
My system is Windows7 Pro, and I was instructing someone how to delete temp internet files by opening IE and clicking Tools > Internet Options > Settings > View Files > then highlighting and delete, but the files did not delete, so I clicked > Start and typed %temp% and deleted them from there, and then did a reboot.
I next went back to IE and went through the process again but a long list of the files are still showing there in the > Users\AppData\Local\Windows\Temporary Internet Files box.
Is there a reason for this? or am I doing something wrong, regards Robert.

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Temporary files are put in many places and any that are currently in use may not be deleted. I recommend purging the hard drives of clutter with Windows 7 Disk Cleanup (scroll down for text instructions), TFC by Oldtimer (the most aggressive cleaner) or CCleaner (select CCleaner Slim version for no toolbar option). With CCleaner, before first use, go to Options > Settings > Advanced and ensure Only delete files in Windows Temp folders older than 24 hours is unchecked. And before using any of these options, know your site credentials (user names and passwords) for sites you frequent before cleaning as you will have to login again at next visit.

tyler4402

tyler4402

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Hi Digerati
Thanks for your help and quick reply, I do use CrapCleaner weekly, and the system HDD is not in bad shape as I use Smart Defrag2 which is constantly running.
I downloaded and ran TFC and it did a good job and cleared out most of the dross, I would think a few hundred files, although it left 8 Open Office files and 10 Icons, I guess I must need them? I will have a look at W7 disk cleanup as it may come in handy one day, regards Robert.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
A couple things. I personally do not like disk defraggers that work all the time or by a schedule. Why? Because it beats the hard drive to death when you probably don't need to, and it defrags with potentially 1000s of tiny temporary files still on the drive. That is counterproductive in my opinion. Also, when Windows is running in normal mode, there are many opened files that cannot be moved because they are open. That hinders an efficient defragging so again, counterproductive. I manually defrag maybe once every 6 months. And I ALWAYS boot into Safe Mode first and purge my system of clutter (with CCleaner - no longer called Crap Cleaner, BTW). Then I run my defragger.

I will have a look at W7 disk cleanup as it may come in handy one day

Of course the advantage of Windows own Disk Cleanup is it is already included in Windows. And that has a major advantage when you are running low on free disk space and downloading a 3rd party cleaner will only take up more space. Plus it is an excellent cleaner and you can be pretty confident it coming from Microsoft and being a Windows utility it will not break Windows.

tyler4402

tyler4402

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
Hi Digerati
Sorry for the slow response, and my thanks for your help which has cured the problem using Oldtimers TFC which did a good job.

I do also take on board you views on auto defragers and although Smart Defrag has worked well for me over quite a few years, I think it might be prudent to give your method a try.

But am I getting the order correct? > Start in safe mode and run CCleaner, then > (also in safe mode??) > turn on my Smart Defrag and do a six monthly defrag > and next followed by a run with Windows7 disk cleaner, is this also done in safe mode, following the defrag??.

Although I have 465Gb of free space of 500 on the hdd disk, when will a run with Win7 Disk cleanup be beneficial, and where do I find and install Win7 disk cleaner.
Thanks Robert.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
You don't need to run CCleaner and Windows Disk Cleaner. Just one cleaner will do. And for the most efficient cleaning and defragging, boot into Safe Mode and run your preferred cleaner. Then reboot into Safe Mode again to run your defragger. The reason you need to reboot between the two processes is because some files cannot be deleted, even in Safe Mode, because Windows has them opened. So the cleanup programs tag those files to be deleted during the next boot, but before Windows actually starts. Rebooting will allow those tagged files to be fully deleted, thus allowing for a more efficient defrag.

Although I have 465Gb of free space of 500 on the hdd disk, when will a run with Win7 Disk cleanup be beneficial

Note you have a HUGE amount of free space. This means the drive's interface has lots of free space to store your files without splitting them up into fragments. So you would rarely, if ever, need to defrag your disk.

Running Disk Cleanup is not just to free up space. In fact, it is used to clean out clutter - like 1000s of temporary Internet files and cookies you just don't need on your disk and those typically, even in total, typically consume considerably less than 1Gb. I do it more as a security step than to free up disk space. I use CCleaner once a week or so. And I use CCleaner instead of the other programs because it allows me to set which cookies I want to keep. So, for example, I have it set so it will not delete the Geekstogo cookies. In this way, my computer will remember my login credentials and I won't have to re-enter my username and password after every cleanup. I have CCleaner preserve the cookies for all the sites I visit regularly.

and where do I find and install Win7 disk cleaner

It is already in Windows and I provided a link above showing how to access and use it.