Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Operating memory - Win32/Olmarik.TDL4 [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

JulieJean

JulieJean

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
I see the box browse for folder. I have my computer, the b drive (mem stick), the C drive, which i click the carrot next to it. the carrot goes away and won't show me any sub folders. I can't navigate to a Windows folder.

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
OK that does not look good - It may well be that the drive really has gone and become corrupted

Reatogo should see any files/folders that are there

JulieJean

JulieJean

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
yes, TestDisk was able to see the disk and the partitions. It was not able to repair it because it said it had a bad filesystem. Not sure if there is anything that can be done about it.

The front desk machine has 1 last quirk on it. Chrome browser tabs close when i click them and i can't get into the settings (wrench). This seems a little buggy? I have run the eset scan several times and it is clean. Is there another scanner i should use? Or do i need to repair something?

I uninstalled chrome and re-installed it, but it did not solve the problem.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Have you run chkdisc on the affected system as I think it is the MFT that is corrupted
Windows does keep a backup of this

Using the XP recovery console disc that you have
Boot to the command prompt and type in the following

chkdsk drive /p /r (for drive enter the disc number - probably 0 )

With regards to Chrome I have never actually used it

However once it has been uninstalled via add/remove then from the run key type :

%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Google

Once in that folder then delete it all

JulieJean

JulieJean

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Thanks for the marching orders. I have one more issue to add with the front desk computer. It is still doing this weird thing after start up. Nothing I click on responds after it boots up. i can click on things, but only up to a certain point. It's like there is a process that starts up that prevents anything from responding. However, once i do ctrl alt del, i click task manager button, but i have to click it twice. then once task manager pops open everything works fine for the rest of my session. I thought maybe updating java would make this problem go away, and of course getting rid of the virus, but it is still doing this. Any ideas?

JulieJean

JulieJean

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Shoot, his computer is vista. Will I need to create an image for vista?

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Unless you have the vista cd - yes

select the 32 or 64 bit version from here

Nothing I click on responds after it boots up. i can click on things, but only up to a certain point. It's like there is a process that starts up that prevents anything from responding. However, once i do ctrl alt del, i click task manager button, but i have to click it twice. then once task manager pops open everything works fine for the rest of my session

To me this sounds like a programme/service hanging at start

Going back to your OTL log I can see the following starting with the system

O4 - HKLM..\Run: [Acrobat Assistant 8.0] C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 9.0\Acrobat\Acrotray.exe (Adobe Systems Inc.)
O4 - HKLM..\Run: [Adobe Acrobat Speed Launcher] C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 9.0\Acrobat\Acrobat_sl.exe (Adobe Systems Incorporated)
O4 - HKLM..\Run: [atchk] C:\Program Files\Intel\AMT\atchk.exe (Intel Corporation)
O4 - HKLM..\Run: [AwaySch] C:\Program Files\Lenovo\AwayTask\AwaySch.EXE (Lenovo Group Limited)
O4 - HKLM..\Run: [DiskeeperSystray] C:\Program Files\Diskeeper Corporation\Diskeeper\DkIcon.exe (Diskeeper Corporation)
O4 - HKLM..\Run: [DLA] C:\WINDOWS\system32\DLA\DLACTRLW.EXE (Sonic Solutions)
O4 - HKLM..\Run: [DSFHost] C:\Program Files\Staples\easyprint\dsfhost.exe ()
O4 - HKLM..\Run: [egui] C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET NOD32 Antivirus\egui.exe (ESET)
O4 - HKLM..\Run: [High Definition Audio Property Page Shortcut] C:\WINDOWS\System32\HdAShCut.exe (Windows ® Server 2003 DDK provider)
O4 - HKLM..\Run: [Mouse Suite 98 Daemon] C:\WINDOWS\System32\ico.exe (Primax Electronics Ltd.)
O4 - HKLM..\Run: [PDService.exe] C:\Program Files\Lenovo\SafeGuard PrivateDisk\pdservice.exe (Utimaco Safeware AG)
O4 - HKLM..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\jusched.exe (Sun Microsystems, Inc.)
O4 - HKCU..\Run: [updateMgr] C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\AdobeUpdateManager.exe AcRdB7_1_0 File not found

What we can do is disable the non-essential ones from starting and see if that helps - would that work for you ?

JulieJean

JulieJean

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
SOUNDS GOOD. It seems to happen after the Intel window pops up.

JulieJean

JulieJean

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Shall we add one more issue to the list since we are having so much fun?

My computer - when attaching an external drive, windows explorer freezes and won't let me navigate to the drive. This is any kind of external USB connected drive in any of the 3 usb ports. It is running xp pro. Even after disconnecting the drive the system is frozen until i do a hard reboot. I need to attach the external drive so i can back up the contents so i can fix the HP MediaSmart Server system drive! :unsure:

So, my current issues include:
Front desk computer:
1. Start Up process hang
2. Google Chrome closing tabs when i click on them, not opening downloaded documents, when hitting back button it opens a new window.
Husband's computer
1. Bad hard drive - i have tasks to do with the new recovery image
My Computer:
1. External Hard drive attachment freezes computer

Edited by JulieJean, 21 January 2012 - 06:03 PM.

JulieJean

JulieJean

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
I was not able to load the vista recovery.

However, I think it may not be working because i am trying to do it in my laptop hardware. My husband and I had identical hardware and both our drives died at the same time. his hardware seems completely gone, it does show a power light but it won't respond to the on button. So, to recover his data from his drive i was going to put his hard drive in my computer. However, when i rebuilt my computer i downgraded to xp (this is our fourth set of hard drives in 5 years with these machines. Maybe it's vista, lenovo, who knows). So, I'm guessing this is the conflict? This plan probably won't work??? :confused:

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Ok lets get cracking - first the startups

Download the standalone .exe version of startup control from here this also has a small guide on the page
Run the programme
Go to control panel and you will find a startup element click that
Disable the following :

[Acrobat Assistant 8.0]
[Adobe Acrobat Speed Launcher]
[High Definition Audio Property Page Shortcut]
[SunJavaUpdateSched]
[updateMgr]
[AwaySch]
[DiskeeperSystray]

Reboot - does it load faster ?

When you plug in the external drive are you doing it prior to boot or after ?

Hubbies sounds like it is as dead as a Dodo

JulieJean

JulieJean

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
it definitely booted fast! But, still happens. It seems to be one of the last processes loaded. It usually happens after i click ok to the attached picture. but I just let everything run and start up with out clicking the OK button and it still happened.

I am already booted when i plug in the external drive. I boot with out it plugged in. I plug in and then turn it on. Should i boot with it plugged in?

Is the recovery CD pulling data from the hard drive when starting up? Or reading anything from the hardware? I have another laptop that is very similar but not an exact copy of my husbands machine. I can try to pop the drive in that one and recover it that way, but i can't do that until i get front desk computer back in the store. :rolleyes:

Thanks so much!

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
OK run the startup CPL again and then disable the following :

[Mouse Suite 98 Daemon]
[DLA]
[PDService.exe]

The recovery disc does read some hardware data
But all files necessary to run are on the CD

You could try to boot with the external plugged in - although it should read it quite happily if it is plugged in after boot

JulieJean

JulieJean

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
its still happening.

Think maybe it's disk keeper?

JulieJean

JulieJean

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts