Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer suddenly restored itself to factory settings..

• Please log in to reply

seadarell

seadarell

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi guys! I'm soo stressed hope you can help :( :)

Basically I have a Windows Vista laptop (Acer),and one day I unplugged it by mistake (it has no battery.) When I turned it back on, it let me log in as ''owner,'' but then wouldn't go to the desktop, just sat there with the timer spinning saying ''welcome..'' as it always does, but not for that long. I couldn't get it to the desktop, so it was useless- I thought it had malfunctioned in some way. Today, I turned it on and it logged me on fine, but then said something like ''the Owner account was not logged in properly''. Then, I saw everything had basically been restored to factory settings- all my documents and pictures gone, favourites gone etc. The one thing that gives me a shred of hope is that someone else said when that happened their installed programmes got wiped- I still have Skype, my i tunes complete with music although I haven't plugged my phone in, the version of Microsoft Word I downloaded but with no documents.. If anyone have any ideas how I could get my files back, that would be amazing and I'd be so grateful!

Advertisements