Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

1 partttion for OS / 1 partition for files

• Please log in to reply

iAmXquisite

iAmXquisite

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
So I have heard that some people have sepperate partitions for OS and documents.
So that I case the system for any reason stops functioning they can just reinstall the OS without having to loose all of their files.

How would I go about doing this the right way? Do you need to make different partitions when installing the operating system or can I just make a new partition now? And is this method reccomeneded my experts?

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
It is generally best to set this up when installing Windows, not after. Whenever you mess with existing partitions, even with the best programs and precautions, there is a risk of total corruption and data loss. Partitioning programs like EASEUS Partition Master Home Edition – formally Partition Magic, let split an existing drive or partitions into multiple partitions, resize or delete partitions and I have used it several times with no problems. But I would urge you do a complete backup of your data first, just in case.

Note this really works best when using two separate drives. If you split a single drive into two partitions, if the drive fails, you still lose everything.