Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IE8 & Safari VERY slow, computer lags, freezes

• Please log in to reply

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
I can't tell where the files were from your log. We removed a lot of stuff but when it gets removed it moves to subfolders of C:\Qoobox\Quarantine\ or C:\_OTL\ so it is still around to be detected even tho it is not active. There is also usually a copy or three in the System Restore Archives.

Advertisements

ToniB

ToniB

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
They were in files that were originally within QOOBOX on the C-drive (some of those that had been mysteriously moved from G to C). There was also one on the G drive). But subsequent scans hadn't picked them up. They whouldn't have been accessed in the meantime by anything I directly did but who knows what's going on in the background of this thing...

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
Wouldn't worry about them then.

If they stay gone after a second scan then they are gone for good.

I'm off island until Friday so replies will be delayed.

ToniB

ToniB

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
good to know.

enjoy your time away. "talk to you" when you get back.

ToniB

ToniB

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Hope you had a good trip off the island! Have been working at getting the C:/ drive "bloating" figured out very slowly -- life gets in the way... :o)

One strange thing. Was looking at the Seagate software for clues (which I disabled but didn't uninstall). It show the contents of the C:/ drive as:

System 68.9 GB
Pictures 761.9 KB
Other 46.1 MB
Music 27.8 MB
Mail 612.9 KB
Documents 54.9 MB
Free 5.5 GB

Have no idea why system files size is so big!? Seems it reclassified some/all of the doc & music files it transferred over from G drive (along with others) as system files. Any ideas?

Kaspersky found no other problems after deleting those I already reported but I since switched to BitDefender for my laptop, ran it on this computer & it also found nothing yet. Have yet to let it loose on the G drive though.

Thanks for the continued support!!!

Edited by ToniB, 10 March 2012 - 06:26 PM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
I think you need to just bite the bullet and delete that junk that you moved.

ToniB

ToniB

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
I'd very much like to but a) those are the only copies of some of my personal files and b) I didn't move it, some program did it for me -- still not sure what implications there are for the system.

I have to admit the temptation is great though! :o) I keep telling myself how darn organized it'll all be when I get done... I'll know where EVERYTHING is.

Speaking of which -- what do you use to back up programs? Seems Seagate software is not a great choice...

Thanks for hanging in there with me!

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
I hate to admit it but I don't really have a formal backup program. If I have something I don't want to lose I just zip it up and gmail it to myself or copy it to one of the other PCs in the house network. I do burn CDs of my pictures since I would hate to lose them.

Why don't you burn all of the files to a CD or DVD? Then you can erase them from the hard drive.