Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows xp crashed

• Please log in to reply

anobbee

anobbee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I have performed the primary hard disk self test and everything was fine.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Try this please
Reset the boot order to the default settings

To reset the boot order to the default settings, follow the steps below.
  • Turn on or restart the computer.
  • While the display is blank, press the f10 key to enter the BIOS settings menu.
  • Press the f9 key to reset the BIOS to the default settings.
  • Press the f10 key to save the changes and exit the BIOS settings menu.

anobbee

anobbee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
When I reset the bios to the default setting the same error message came back up. Windows failed to start etc.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Go back to setup - as you have configured default the hard drive should be listed as a boot device
The default boot order settings for the computer are configured in the factory. The default boot order for HP notebook PCs is listed below.
  • Floppy disk drive
  • Optical drive (DVD, CD-ROM)
  • Hard drive
  • USB device
  • Network adapter
Is it please.
I have just been looking at the HP site and rather than going back into setup you can do this

To access the Boot Device Options window, turn on the computer and immediately press the esc key to display the Startup
Menu and then press F9
.Posted Image
This window presents the standard choices available in your BIOS for determining how your computer will attempt to boot the operating system on its next restart. Using the F9 option does not permanently change the way in which your computer attempts to start. It will only apply to the current startup process.

I am beginning to suspect that you are going no further with this until you can connect an optical drive by usb, so that we can get into recovery console.
The lack of an optical drive on some notebooks, has always presented a problem in this situation.

Was there any previous sign of everything not being correct before you had this problem.

anobbee

anobbee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Can I make my usb bootable in order to fix the problem? No there were no previous signs of problems before this happened.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Put your USB line 4 in your BIOS as the first boot device.