Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Error message during Repair installation of Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
PC Cleaner is not much of a tool. I never believed in one click fixes (with a couple of exceptions) and this software is no different than a miriad others that make the same claims. Plus, you'll have to register and activate the program before it will actually do anything at all...which means you can download it and run it at no cost, but you have to buy it before it will fix anything...if it will fix anything.

Do you have or did you have an HP printer, scanner, or all-in-one installed to this machine? The software we are looking for may be in with the printer software bundle.

Advertisements

sue.words

sue.words

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
Hello again, Wannabe

Both my computers are HP and my current printer (All-in-One PSC 1510) and previous printer (3820) are/were too. (In case it's relevant, I have deleted the 3820 from the desktop, so it no longer shows in Printers and Faxes, but it does still show in Printers and Faxes on the laptop even though it is not designated as the default printer.)

I had to download drivers for the current printer from the internet because the person who gave it to me had lost the installation disk.

We replaced the HP 3820 because it wasn't working well several years ago. It is just possible I could find it in the attic, and if I did it might have the installation disk, but I'm not certain about finding it at all or the disk being with it.

I used to have a scanner - and it was HP as well - before we had the All-in-One. It must be somewhere, possibly with its installation disk.

If I really must I will have a massive hunt for these two machines, but I'd prefer to avoid this if I can because of pressure of time with my urgent work.

Is there anything else I can try? If there isn't I will just have to give up for a day or two until I have finished my work.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
There's a download available for the software that came with your HP 1510 series. Download and install This Software from HP.

Then download and run Dial-a-fix using the default settings. This is one of the few "fix ix" programs that I've had good success with. I use it primarily for Windows Update issues in XP. It doesn't work on the newer operating systems.

Let me know if either or both of these help with the problems.

sue.words

sue.words

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
I have done what you suggest above as best I can.

I'm afraid I can't be very precise about what has happened because I can't properly remember but the wretched PhotoGallery installer keeps on and on popping up.

With the installation of the HP 1510 software, I gave up before the end because the instructions (this was "HP Solutions for Install Errors (Windows XP): Help for wireless setup") began talking about interfering with the power cable from the printer. I do not want to do this because the desktop (which is connected to the printer) is working reasonably well and I can't bear to think of messing that up as well when the laptop is being such a ***.

I have run some of the Dial-a-fix procedures. When you said run Dial-a-fix using the default settings did you mean I should do all the five steps, including 'Flush SoftwareDistribution'? I did 'Prep' and 'MSI' and then 'WU/WUAU' but I was nervous about 'Flush SoftwareDistribution' because it talked about deleting a lot of files.

When I clicked 'Go' for 'MSI' it provoked a message aboutcompleting a previous installation before proceeding (presumably the persistent PhotoGallery again).

After I'd done 'WU/ WUAU' - and been too scared to do 'Flush SoftwareDistribution' - I clicked 'MSI' again and at the bottom of the Dial-a-fix window it has shown 'Unregistering MSIServer' for at least five minutes.

I don't know whether I have achieved anything at all or not. It just seems to be one problem or freeze after another.

I'm so sorry to sound so grumpy. I'm going to bed now and will leave the laptop as it is.

do you want me to do steps 4 and 5?

Hope you're having a great time with your music.

Goodnight.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
This machine certainly is being stubborn...

Please go ahead and flush the software distribution folder. It contains information created by the auto update service. The machine will create any new files it needs when the machine updates next.

Let's see if we can find what's triggering that PhotoGallery setup to run. Click on the Start button, then on "Run". Type msconfig in the input field and click "Ok". In the window that opens. click on the "Startup" tab. Look in the resulting list for any item related to HP or PhotoGallery. Do you see any such item in the list? If yes, is there a check in the checkbox next to it?

sue.words

sue.words

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
Hello Wannabe

Interestingly, although the computer doesn't seem to be right (I'll give more details later) the PhotoGallery installer thing seems to have disappeared. I haven't seen it today at all (ie, since I ran Dial-a-Fix and the HP 1510 software).

I have just run Dial-a-Fix again (or at least I am in the process of doing it).

I think the Flush Software Distribution has been done and at the moment the MSI seems to be trying to run but an error message has just come up:

Error - 2147023824 was encountered while trying to register C:\WINDOWS\system 32\wuaueng.dll. The error text is: the specified service has been marked for deletion.
dia-a-Fix currently has no suggestions for this error code. Please email [email protected] with a copy of the log pane and any details you can provide about this error.

[OK]

(By the way, as I have already regrettably had to explain, I'm afraid it's difficult to give you an accurate and detailed account of everything, but I have a feeling I saw something about C:\WINDOWS\system 32\wuaueng.dll. (at least 'System 32' rings a bell) sometime today.

I have clicked OK (though not sent an email) and things seem to be happening again.

While this is happening I will do what you suggest with msconfig.

Startup items - all ticked except the first one:

HPWuSchd2 (not ticked)

HP Photosmart Premier
HP Digital Imaging
HP Wireless Assistant
hpztsb07

I'm going to have difficulty in giving you a coherent account of the Windows Update situation because it seems very confused.

At one point today I think I saw that Windows Service Pack 3 (NOT Office SP 3) had been downloaded. (I don't remember seeing that in any other list since this all began.)
Whether it has got itself installed is another matter and I don't know about that.

As I mentioned last night, a lot of updates began to be downloaded as I went to bed, and in the morning there were 100 there. But when they began to get installed the same old five failed.

I have had difficulty in getting to 'Review your update history' to check what the position is. Just now I attempted again to do this and have arrived at what is perhaps the Windows Update homepage (it says Windows Update Home at the top of a mainly greyed out column where I can just see a faint 'Review your update history'.)

On this page it says:
Files required to use Windows Update are no longer registered or installed on your computer. to continue:
Register or reinstall the files for me now (Recommended)
Let me read about more steps that might be required to solve the problem.

[Continue]

I'm inclined to click Continue with the first choice ticked, but won't do anything until I've heard from you.

This gets more and more bizarre, doesn't it? I am so grateful to you for sticking with me!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Apparently the Photogalllery software now has the file it needed and will not prompt you for it again. We can disable a couple of things in the configuration window, but if the error message has stopped, I see no point. You may need to run the installation again if and when you want to use your printer on that machine. You can just cancel the configuration window.

Go ahead and do the Service Pack 3 installation...it may just clean up the rest of the problems we're seeing with Windows Update. Be aware that SP3 does take quite a while to install and will probably make you think the machine is hanging when it restarts...it's not, give it time to apply all the changes.

The system32 file (wuaueng.dll) is related to Windows Update and should be included in SP3.

Let me know how the installation goes... :happy:

sue.words

sue.words

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
Where is Service Pack 3?

I don't know where to look for it on my computer to ask it to install itself and can't do anything at the Windows Update website.

Windows Update seems to have taken a dislike to me as when I clicked "Register or reinstall the files for me now (Recommended)" I got another message saying there were still problems - can't remember the words.

(See my last posting above where I saw
"Files required to use Windows Update are no longer registered or installed on your computer. to continue:
Register or reinstall the files for me now (Recommended)
Let me read about more steps that might be required to solve the problem.

[Continue]")

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Try downloading this version of Service Pack 3. It's an executable so you can start the installation by double clicking on the downloaded file.

sue.words

sue.words

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
Thank you for this. It's downloading at the moment and then I imagine I shall be going to bed leaving it to install overnight again.

Will report back tomorrow.

Thanks again for everything.

Advertisements

sue.words

sue.words

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
Good morning, Wannabe

This morning's bulletin:

When I looked at the computer first thing it was asking to be restarted so I clicked for it to do that. I then went away for about half an hour.

When I came back ... I can hardly bear to write this ... the PhotoGallery message was there again, exactly as it was in my posting of 16 March 2012 - 04:43 PM above.
You could be forgiven for thinking I was winding you up but I promise I am not. I feel as if I'm going mad!

(There was also a window saying Automatic Updates had been switched off. I don't know if that was to be expected or not but I was able to switch them on again.)

Edited by sue.words, 19 March 2012 - 03:21 AM.

sue.words

sue.words

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
PS The editing mentioned above was just me getting rid of some funny formatting that happened when I clicked to post my message.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let's go back to the configuration window.

Click Start, then Run. msconfig should already be in the "Open" field or listed in the drop down menu. Select that (or type it in) and click on "Ok".

In the Configuration window, click the "Startup" tab. De-select (remove the check) from each of the following: HP Photosmart Premier, HP Digital Imaging, and hpztsb07. Apply the change and reboot. When the machine starts, you will see a window telling you you've made some changes. Put a check in the check box to not show the message again and close the window.

Do you still get the HP error?

How is the machine running overall?

sue.words

sue.words

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
Wannabe -

It looks as if you have done it!

I feel like saying 'Touch wood' but the PhotoGallery thing has gone away and so far everything seems ok.

This is SUCH a relief!

I can't tell you how grateful I am for your patient and persistent help.

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Finally!

So...the updates are working as advertized? No more HP errors? Machine is running as it should?

If you have any more problems we need to address, please post back to this thread. I'll be notified of any reply here for about two weeks...after that, you should start a new topic to insure you are not overlooked.

Always glad to lend a hand. You've been terrific to work with! :spoton:

wannabe1