Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer reboots frequently

• Please log in to reply

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
signing off 0039 hrs - early start and not online again until 1900 hrs approx.
Goodnight.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello again...

The dotnet updates can be a real bugger. The last time I ran into this problem (same 3.5 update) I had to uninstall ALL of the Net Framework updates and run the cleaner to get things straightened out.

Turn off Windows Automatic Update while doing these steps.

Let's start with the least complicated first. You'll need to download Dial a Fix. Run it...selecting everything on the left side. Then run it again, this time just click on the Flush SoftwareDistribution button. Reboot and try to install 3.5 again.

No Joy?

Run through both methods listed in this Microsoft Article. Method 2 is the one that works most often for me, but try them in order.

I've got a gig tonight so will not be online again until morning, but this should keep you busy for at least a little while. :whistling:

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I tried the 1st part with no result and then went to the Microsoft Article, The 2nd step says look in add/remove programs for .net framework client 4. I did this and there is not a file on the system that says client 4

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
I think that is for the difficulties with the Net framework 4, if you HAVE IT INSTALLED

The next paragraph refers to the problems with the installation of the earlier net framework editions.

To repair the .NET Framework 1.0, 1.1, 2.0, 3.0, 3.5, you must uninstall multiple versions of the .NET Framework by using the .NET Framework Cleanup Tool, and then reinstall the components.

Klown1969

Klown1969

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Ok sorry I was not signed in on my identity.

Klown1969

Klown1969

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Here are the screenshots

Attached Thumbnails

• addremovefiles.JPG
  • addremovefiles2.JPG

Klown1969

Klown1969

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
FYI I switched the memory and have not had any unintentional reboots since. Wanted to make sure you knew that part of the problem is taken care of.

The .net framework update not installing is a newer issue discovered when trying to track down the rebooting issue.

Please let me know if I need to use the .net framework cleanup tool and then if it deletes something where and how do I get it back? Will I still be able to use internet explorer?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Glad to hear the rebooting has stopped with the RAM changes you made. Funny it would pass memtest as everything pointed to a memory issue. :thumbsup:

Uninstall all versions of the NET Framework, run the cleanup tool, then reinstall all the NET Framework versions in chronological order...starting with version 1.1. All versions are available on the page I linked you to except for the last one. Get all the other versions installed, then get the last one through Windows Update, This is the solution that has most often worked for me as I stated in an earlier reply.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
This should not affect your browsers....

Klown1969

Klown1969

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Wannabe1 It worked! I have all updates available and installed now.
Thank you so much for helping with this annoyance.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You are very Welcome! :thumbsup:

Klown1969

Klown1969

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Is there anything else I need to be working on to get the computer to run at its optimum?