Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win 7 64 bit - I think I have a virus - General slowdown/webcam failur

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Jsess

Jsess

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Also, even after the revo uninstall/remove - reboot - reinstall, my webcam is not being recognized by skype. Just wanted to update you.

Thanks for all the help and promptness, by the way!

Advertisements

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
Will get back to you with further instructions.

CompCav

Edited by CompCav, 07 April 2012 - 08:54 PM.

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
Step 1.

Issue related to sfc has to do with a language pack.

This is part of the Simplified Chinese Language Pack either installed in Windows Updates, or part of Microsoft Office (if installed). If you do not need or use this language pack, and are not experiencing any issues, then I wouldn't worry about it since it's not critical to Windows 7. If you are experiencing issues, then either uninstall and reinstall the language pack or reinstall Microsoft Office (if installled) depending on which one you installed originally.

Step 2.

Please use Revo Uninstaller to uninstall the Flash Players you have and install the updated ones.

Step 3.

Now retry using the webcam with Skype after the updates.

Please give me a status on the computer over all as well as specific to the above steps

Jsess

Jsess

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
To the first part, that should be no problem.

I'm not seeing flash player in revo and am not sure how to uninstall it using the program if I can't find it. Any idea why it might not show up?

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
Whe you go here

It says:

Flash Player information

If Flash Player is installed on your computer, the following box displays the version of Flash Player and your operating system. If Flash Player is not installed, an error message is displayed.

What does the box say or do you get an error message and if an error message what is it?

Regards,

CompCav

Jsess

Jsess

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
I attached a photo; should be a bit better. Does that help?

Attached Thumbnails

• flash.JPG

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
Step 1.

Go to step 3 on this page and download and install the current versions both ie and non-ie for Windows 7 64-bit.

Step 2.

Please follow the steps here to resolve the camera issue.

Step 3.

Please update me on your flash version, Skype camera issue, and any other issues

Jsess

Jsess

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Working on that now, but just caught this excerpt:

"Chrome with Flash Player
You don’t have to install Flash Player if you use Chrome. Flash Player is integrated into Chrome and enabled by default. Chrome automatically updates when new versions of Flash Player are available. "

I'm running chrome, so that might have been it. I'll get back to you.

EDIT: As a matter of fact, there are ONLY versions listed for IE, firefox and chrome. There doesn't seem to be a "non IE" version, and every link on the page that says "download XXXX" takes me back to the branch to choose between the three. A google search takes me to a link that, when clicked, takes me to the chrome installer which tells me I already have flash. I'll try the skype steps, but flash is proving to be a bit stingy.

Edit again: The only thing that needed to be done was windows updates, but there's still no difference :\ I'm still seeing a performance hit and no webcam functionality in skype.

Edited by Jsess, 09 April 2012 - 02:03 PM.

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
OK go to step 2 in Post #22 for the camera issue.

Jsess

Jsess

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Edit again: The only thing that needed to be done was windows updates, but there's still no difference :\ I'm still seeing a performance hit and no webcam functionality in skype.

Sorry, that ^ Was step #2. No luck :\

Advertisements

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
OK thanks for the clarification.

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
What is the make and model number of your computer? I am trying to find more checks for the Skype issues.

Jsess

Jsess

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
I have an ASUS N53S, and gotcha.

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
The 64 bit IE flash player is here

The 64 bit non-iE flash player is here

Please download these to your desktop and install them.

Then try your camera.

Please give me an update after this step.

Jsess

Jsess

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
No change :\ Webcam is still shot, but only with skype.

Still idling after giving it some time to start up at around 40% of my processor and of my 6gb of RAM. I'm at a loss as to what it could be :\

Edited by Jsess, 10 April 2012 - 04:36 PM.