Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DRIVER IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK then it's time to take this head on.

Go Start and then to Run ("Start Search" in Vista),
Type in: sfc /scannow
Click OK (Enter in Vista).
Have Windows CD/DVD handy.
If System File Checker (sfc) finds any errors, it may ask you for the CD/DVD.
If sfc does not find any errors in Windows XP, it will simply quit, without any message.
In Vista you will receive the following message: "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations".

For Vista users ONLY: Navigate to C:\Windows\Logs\CBS folder. You'll see CBS.log file.
Usually, it's pretty big file, so upload it to Flyupload, and post download link.

If you don't have Windows CD....
This applies mostly to Windows XP, since Vista rarely requires use of its DVD while running "sfc"
Note This method will not necessarily work as well, as when using Windows CD, because not always ALL system files are backed up on your hard drive. Also, backed up files may be corrupted as well.

Go Start and then Run
type in regedit and click OK

Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

You will see various entries Values on the right hand side.

The one we want is called: SourcePath

It probably has an entry pointing to your CD-ROM drive, usually D and that is why it is asking for the XP CD.
All we need to do is change it to: C:
Now, double click the SourcePatch setting and a new box will pop up.
Change the drive letter from your CD drive to your root drive, usually C:
Close Registry Editor.

Now restart your computer and try sfc /scannow again!

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

This hopefully will replace the corrupted Atapi.sys file to stop the main BSOD creator.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Is this of any assistance

The process DSP service driver (version 08-28-2004 build for SF 1.X) belongs to the software Soic focus DSP Service driver or Sonic Focus DSP service driver for Intel Audio Studio by Sonic Focus (www.sonicfocus.com). (No longer a valid link from the aspect of this software)

Description: sf.sys is located in the folder C:\Windows\System32\drivers. Known file sizes on Windows 7/XP are 33,248 bytes (52% of all occurrence), 33,995 bytes, 32,197 bytes, 46,639 bytes.Posted Image
The driver can be started or stopped from Services in the Control Panel or by other programs. The program has no visible window. There is no detailed description of this service. The file is not a Windows core file. sf.sys seems to be a compressed file.
If you want to remove the program completely, go to Control Panel ⇒ Software ⇒ Intel® Audio Studio.

which explains why Sonic Focus could not be found.
PLEASE continue with my colleague rshaffer61.
This may be of use if it becomes necessary to uninstall all of the audio drivers and try downloading from the Intel site or the motherboard site, rather than relying on Driver Max.

You will notice that this link provides you with the troubleshooting of the sound and covers the SoundMax audio
http://www.intel.com...b/CS-020642.htm

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I suggest first try Mac's suggestion of stopping the program completely and that may very well end that issue. Then do my instructions for replacing the atapi.sys file in your system files.

fielkun

fielkun

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
RShaffer: I already followed your instruction by changing the SOURCEPATH drive from D to C. But still, a message keeps on popping up saying I need to insert a CD and the problem is I don't have the CD anymore :(

Macboatmaster: How do I stop the sonic software (sf.sys) thing? I can't find it on Control Panel.

Thank you guys for always responding to my problem.
:)

Edited by fielkun, 17 April 2012 - 12:02 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK you will need to borrow a cd of the same OS you have installed then. Home, Media or Pro
Try this for Mac's suggestion since it is a service you may find it this way.

Lets see what you have in your startup services area

Please click on
Start and then to Run
Type in msconfig and press Enter
Now click on Services
Click on the Hide All Microsoft Services
Then uncheck everything that says Sonic and restart.
If system boots correctly and is running smoothly and faster then we have a service problem
Post back with the results

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

If you want to remove the program completely, go to Control Panel ⇒ Software ⇒ Intel® Audio Studio.

fielkun

fielkun

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

OK you will need to borrow a cd of the same OS you have installed then. Home, Media or Pro
Try this for Mac's suggestion since it is a service you may find it this way.

Lets see what you have in your startup services area

Please click on
Start and then to Run
Type in msconfig and press Enter
Now click on Services
Click on the Hide All Microsoft Services
Then uncheck everything that says Sonic and restart.
If system boots correctly and is running smoothly and faster then we have a service problem
Post back with the results

Okay, I did what you instructed me above but still I can't find anything with "Sonic" :(
Argh, my computer is hopeless >_< I also don't have any friends who has the CD for it.

Here's a screenshot of my control panel and as you can see there is no "Software" there. I'm using Windows XP Professional 32 bit.

Posted Image

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Sorry about that my error for not including the full instructions - add/remove programs

Where you are making the mistake I think, is that you keep looking for Sonic, you will not find it.
It is installed as part of the Intel Audio studio
SONIC as such is not visible

If you cannot see the entry Intel Audio Studio in add.remove programs or in any of the locations suggested by my colleague, then go back to Revo but this time look for Intel Audio Studio

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Did your system come preinstalled with XP? If so there may be a hidden recovery partition on the hard drive we can use to run the SFC.
It is a little tricky to do but we can fool the SFC to look at the recovery partition for the files it needs.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
From Autoruns

+ "sf" "DSP service driver 08-28-2004 build for SF 1.X" "Sonic Focus, Inc" "c:\windows\system32\drivers\sf.sys"
+ "smwdm" "SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio " "Analog Devices, Inc." "c:\windows\system32\drivers\smwdm.sys"
+ "STAC97" "SigmaTel Audio Driver (WDM)" "SigmaTel, Inc." "c:\windows\system32\drivers\stac97.sys"

I tend to think it would be best to start again on the audio drivers, either from the motherboard site, or from Intel, presuming it is an Intel board
I have included on a previous post the Intel guide with the link for Intel automatic system analysis and driver update.

Advertisements

fielkun

fielkun

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
rshaffer: I believe my system has a partition installed. Let's see, oh its at Drive F:
Posted Image

Macboatmaster: I used Intel's Driver Utility and here's what is says:
Posted Image

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Nope no hidden recovery partition located on either drive in your system.
This means you will have to locate and\or borrow a XP installation disk so we can do the Repair Installation.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Your post 26 with the information from Intel simply confirms what I said in my post 25.

I tend to think it would be best to start again on the audio drivers, either from the motherboard site, or from Intel, presuming it is an Intel board

1. Go Start, right click My Computer, click properties, on the window that opens click the hardware tab, then click the device manager button
On the entry for sounds, video and game controllers is there a red/yellow warning mark. if so
Exapnd that entry , what is the message - with the error code.

In device manager are there any other warnings against any entries, are there any unknown devices

2. Download this please and send me the URL as shown

http://www.piriform....speccy/download
THE FREE edition

send the URL as here
http://www.piriform....file-to-the-web

3. What is the make and full model of the computer if branded.
ie Dell, Hp etc and the model number.

fielkun

fielkun

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
@Macboatmaster:
1.) Here's some screenshots:
Posted Image

Posted Image

- there are no more additional warnings in the Device Manager.

2.)
http://speccy.pirifo...DX8p4hCrB5a8ylr

- I don't know why some of the class were not registered >_<

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Neither do I know why Speccy has not found and reported the usual results

3. What is the make and full model of the computer if branded.
ie Dell, Hp etc and the model number.

Please answer that question.

and in respect of the Sigma Tel Audio, right click that entry, click uninstall. aggre the warning that you are about to uninstall etc.
Reboot the computer and see what happens, as Windows reports found and configuring new hardware.

Then go back and check what is then shown in device manager.