Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to download windows update KB2536276

• Please log in to reply

z3255859

z3255859

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
Hi Folks

Everytime I try to download the windows update KB2536276 i get the following error:-

code 8024200D windows update encountered an unknown error

I have tried updating my pc in Safe mode ...but i reached the same error

Please help me fix this

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,782 posts
:welcome: z3255859
Please check that the update has not been previously installed as it may not have installed correctly, if it has;
Go into Add\Remove Programs
Make sure to click the little box on the top that says Show All Updates
Scroll through and find the offending update and remove it.
Now try updating again and see if it corrects the faulty update.

If not the above try manually installing the update from the download center http://www.microsoft...ad/default.aspx
Good luck and let us know how you get on.

z3255859

z3255859

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
thanks Phil for a quick reply

• I found the update on add/remove programs
  • Removed it
  • Tried re installing it using windows update ( I have win 7 64 bit sp1 )
  • Same error ( 8024200D )
  • Tried installing it manually from Microsoft download center
  • Same result ( 8024200D )

Any other ideas mate ??

p.s - if you want my Hijackthis log or sysinfo... i can post it anytime you want

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,782 posts
You are welcome :thumbsup:

Have you read the thread @ http://www.sevenforu...-kb2536276.html

Please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests

Here's how:

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others). If your machine is running Vista or Windows 7, you must Select IE to “Run as Administrator”. After completing PCPitstop OverDrive you can close your IE browser and re-open it Normally so that you are no longer running as administrator.

Go to: http://www.pcpitstop...pit/default.asp
Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!"
You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)
You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration and present performance levels of your machine.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

After reviewing the results we will be more informed and may be able to provide better recommendations for you to work towards improving your machine's performance.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. We prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine.

Thanks to rshaffer61 for the PCPitstop instructions :thumbsup:

z3255859

z3255859

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Ok done ... apparently my pc is in the top 24% ... that makes me feel better lol

pc pitstop summary link :

http://www.pcpitstop...?conid=24892737

dude you are fast ... again appreciate you helping me mate

Edited by z3255859, 28 April 2012 - 07:26 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,782 posts
:thumbsup:

Please return to the PCPitstop results and address the items that have a red X against them (password fix is up to yourself) if you hover the cursor over the item you will be given a description of the issue and if you click on it you will be instructed how to correct the problem, post back when you have done this, meanwhile I will look at your test results.

z3255859

z3255859

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Ok all fixed

• craplets disabled from msconfig
  • Temp files deleted
  • C: defragmented
  • Passwords disabled on IE ( I never use it anyways ---- i prefer chrome )
  • passwords not disabled for firefox

P.S --- Drive H: is external drive ..just so you know

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,782 posts
Ok good start :thumbsup:

Having looked over your test results I have noted the following 3 points that I need advise you on;
1: Advanced SystemCare 5(5.2.0) IObit 3/22/12 + additional IObit entries further down the list, please avoid using such programs as they can and most often do render your system unstable with the resultant suggested fix being that IObit recommend the purchase of one of their products to remedy the issue/s the previous software has caused, for further guidance please see http://miekiemoes.bl...weaking_13.html

2: CCleaner (3.05) Piriform 3/30/11 A very good tool if used correctly but can be very damaging if used incorrectly as it can hose your registry.

3: µTorrent (2.2.0) 1/17/11 Torrents are an area where cyber criminals lurk and by visiting such sites you are putting yourself at risk of malware attack and identity theft so I suggest you remove uTorrents immediately, due to this software entry before I continue I must ask that you make sure your system is not infected, please see below;

Please read the 'Start Here' topic found here. With these self-help tools you have a high chance of fixing the problems on your own. If you are still having problems after following Step 3 of the guide, continue with Step 4 and 5 and post in the Malware Forum. If you are unable to run any programs, Please create a topic stating what you have tried so far and that you are unable to run any programs. Also, Please do NOT post the logs in this thread.

If you are still having issues after the malware expert gives you a clean bill of health, Please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Additional guidance;
1: Do not create a topic on the malware forum unless you have a malware issue that you cannot resolve yourself.
2: If you do need to start a topic there provide a link to this thread so that steps that have already been taken can be checked.
3: As the Malware Techs are extremely busy you may not receive an instant reply, if you have waited for three days then post in the Waiting Room http://www.geekstogo...e-waiting-room/ be sure to identify the issue as malware related and provide a link to your malware topic.

z3255859

z3255859

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
ok Phil , Malware expert has given me a clean bill of health as u needed.

http://www.geekstogo...38#entry2153338

according to Gammo the update problem is not malware related.

Any suggestion for me ??

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,782 posts
Hello again z3255859

Please check out the attached link http://support.micro....com/kb/906602/

Can you also re-run PCPitstop and provide an updated url for us.

z3255859

z3255859

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Hey phil

I have tried all the steps mentioned by microsoft ( i downloaded and ran fix it etc ) without any result

my pcpitstop result :

http://www.pcpitstop...?conid=24892737

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,782 posts
Hi z3255859
Glad to hear Gammo has given you the all clear :thumbsup:

Back in post #8 I suggested the removal of all Iobit software and uTorrents and offered an explanation as to why they should be removed, however I notice that they are still present on your system.
If you choose to leave the Iobit software installed then it is your decision and for my part I have done what was required by informing you of the damage that such software can cause, the same with CCleaner if not used correctly.

One problem that we cannot avoid (and quite rightly so) is the presence of uTorrents as while this is present on your system I cannot assist you other than to again reiterate that it should be removed right away due to the risk of possible malware attack.

You also have Bitdefender - is this a paid for product or a free version?
If free get rid of it and install either Avast or MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials) both are excellent AVs, light on system resources and free, see the tutorial courtesy of Admin @ http://www.geekstogo...yware-software/ once Bitdefender is removed and Avast or MSE is installed you should try installing the problematic update again.

z3255859

z3255859

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
CC Cleaner -- I know I have it somewhere on my PC but I have never used it EVER.

IOBIT -- I can delete that .. however i only use it as a second virus scanner.

Bit Defender --- I have paid for that antivirus and internet protection. It is recommended by CNET as one of the top 10 antivirus softwares of 2011 ( i think it was 3rd when i bought it )

AVAST/ MSE -- i have never used AVAST before. I used to have MSE ... i deleted it because it never detected anything whereas my bit defender detected couple of viruses. Also it slowed down my PC
too much when i ran a full system scan on it. Also MSE is not a antivirus program ... Microsoft itself says on MSE website that it is only a temporary solution and a antivirus product should also be installed on ur PC.

uTorrent --- well its too bad about this. I know you won't help me until I have deleted this. However I have never downloaded a torrent that has not been verified. Also I download my torrents
from very trusted hosts. I am very aware that this can cause viruses, however I am very careful with it.

I think you are from UK ... they blocked thePirateBay there and I intend to milk that site as much as I can before they decide to do the same in Australia.

So once again I will request you to help me with the update issue ... uTorrent has not been turned on for over a month now and it also doesn't have any services running and it is also not a startup item.

It should not be interfering with anything in my PC right now as I am not using it.

Also I would like to mention that Gammo gave me a clean bill of health. He wouldn't have done so if my PC still had some malware or Virus.

Edited by z3255859, 06 May 2012 - 05:40 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,782 posts
Please understand that I am more than willing to help you for as long as it takes to resolve the issue :yes:
The problem with the uTorrent is that I am duty bound to advise you to remove it because of the potential it has to cause harm, it is irrelevant whether I agree with the use of it or not.
I am going to ask a Mod to look over your topic regarding the uTorrents to ensure that the GTG TOU (Terms of Use) are not being breached, meanwhile one suggestion is as a temporary measure uninstall Bitdefender (record your product registration details first) install Avast or MSE free and then try and install the update, if successful uninstall the new AV and reinstall Bitdefender, I know it is a fair bit of work but if it solves the issue it is worth it.
Before you try the above have you read through the article @ http://support.micro....com/kb/2536276

z3255859
I was waiting on a reply before posting again, as you have not I am editing this post to let you know that we have been given the ok to continue without you needing to remove the uTorrents, I have explained the hazards of using it but it is recognised that the decision to continue using it is yours alone to make.

Edited by phillpower2, 09 May 2012 - 01:35 AM.
Further information added.