Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win32:PUP (I think) "Laptop went berserk" is an understatement

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
How is the computer performing now?

What issues remain?

CompCav

Advertisements

Sophia L

Sophia L

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
Thanks for your help, CompCav. Could it be that you're helping too many people? ;) :headscratch:

I already described my problems last night and this morning, in post 53, I think. Nothing has changed since. Please read it again when you have a chance. Also, I never heard any feedback on the initial logs I posted.

I have very little control over the laptop. I can't even click on anything unless I go through Task Manager first. Windows pop up by themselves, the computer rings on startup, never boots to Windows, only goes to HP screen, can't find its bluetooth driver, ENTER doesn't work.... it's all there... Nothing changed since we started, except for the fact that we ran a whole lot of tests. :headhurt:

Sophia L

Sophia L

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
I just looked at post #1 - nothing has changed, except for long loud ringing... So to answer your question more directly - ALL issues remain.

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
Delete your current copy of ComboFix (if you still have it)

I asked to see if any of the steps had helped. If they do not that is information I need also, sorry.

Download and Install Combofix

Download ComboFix from one of the following locations:

Link 1
Link 2

VERY IMPORTANT !!! Save ComboFix.exe to your Desktop * IMPORTANT - Disable your AntiVirus and AntiSpyware applications, usually via a right click on the System Tray icon. They may otherwise interfere with our tools. If you have difficulty properly disabling your protective programs, refer to this link here

Double click on ComboFix.exe & follow the prompts.
Accept the disclaimer and allow to update if it asks

Posted Image

Posted Image

When finished, it produces a log for you.
Please include the C:\ComboFix.txt in your next reply.

Notes:
1. Do not mouse-click Combofix's window while it is running. That may cause it to stall.
2. Do not "re-run" Combofix. If you have a problem, reply back for further instructions

Please make sure you include the combo fix log in your next reply as well as describe how your computer is running now

After the run you may have internet problems or access to somethng problems. Simply reboot the computer.

Sophia L

Sophia L

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
I ran it before. Should I run it again?

Sophia L

Sophia L

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
OK, just re-read what you wrote. I'll delete it and run it again.

Sophia L

Sophia L

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
CompCav, do I need to disable Windows defender and such and if so, how do I do it? Kaspersky, I can see in my system tray, so that one is easy.Thanks!

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
Windows defender is disabled by following the six steps listed here.

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
I know you are tired of repeating the symptoms so just note changes if any.

I had hoped there would be some change especially after check disk because your logs showed:

Error - 5/6/2012 8:39:03 PM | Computer Name = Sophia-PC | Source = Ntfs | ID = 262199
Description = The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please
run the chkdsk utility on the volume C:.

The sfc scan was due to the ComboFix log you had:

------- Sigcheck -------
Note: Unsigned files aren't necessarily malware.

Which sfc is designed to address.

We had some trouble getting these to run and check disk was particularly troublesome. So the things I have asked for and ComboFix again are not willy-nilly.

Regards,

CompCav

Sophia L

Sophia L

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
I never thought anything was willy-nilly! (LOVE that expression! :) ) I seriously thought that you were overwhelmed by helping too many people and had too much on one plate to handle.

I little glitch! I Started combofix before I heard back from you, but just when I disabled Kaspersky - it disconnected me from the Internet, so ComboFix didn't ask to update anything. At first it said that permission was denied because I had no priviledges, but then the scan started without my doing anything.

Should I stop it and start the internet before I turn it on? (And disable Windows Defender)

It just completed Stage 5.

Edited by Sophia L, 08 May 2012 - 06:12 PM.

Advertisements

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
No it often will run without a problem when defender is on, in fact it was on when you last run it on May 3rd.

Please let it run and follow the directions to not move the mouse or do other things on the infected computer.

Sophia L

Sophia L

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
...and also, I think I don't like being the blind following the sighted. :blush: I'd like to be just a little bit sighted, following the very sighted. So, even though I am not a geek by any means, I would appreciate if you could clue me in on even the very rudimentary basics of what you're thinking, so I can feel a little more involved, even if it's of no use at all. Hope it makes some sense to you. :wave:

Sophia L

Sophia L

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
I think I mentioned it, but just in case I didn't - when we successfully ran "repair computer", there was still that shaking, blinking window that wouldn't freeze and stop moving. It only stopped when I was able to close it.

Sophia L

Sophia L

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
OK, I'm back to HP screen. Should I click on ESC. to go to Windows?

Sophia L

Sophia L

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
Well, I assumed it was done, since HP screen came on. I clicked on ESC. Regular screen came on. It still has the ComboFix open and it says:

Preparing Log Report.

Do not run any programs until ComboFix has finished.

I'm not running anything, but Kaspersky is back on and that (Windows)window on the left popped up and stayed up,as usual. (as usual, after the problems started).

Edit: Also, Windows Defender (I think) just popped up in the system tray with a message "There are multiple problems with your security. Click here to learn more" or something to that effect, so I clicked on it to close it. Hope that doesn't interfere with preparing Log Report... :smashcomp:

Edited by Sophia L, 08 May 2012 - 06:42 PM.