Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My "crazy" laptop, Cleared by CompCav in Malware Forum, is st

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yup...and the cable that connects to it. Should be close by. It may be completely disconnected or just loosely connected...make sure the cable is firmly seated in the connector. AND...it has one of those little plastic locking thingies on it as I mentioned in one of my earlier replies.

Advertisements

Sophia L

Sophia L

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
Oh well. I tried it, without unscrewing anything. Popped it off half-way but it wasn't letting go easily so I popped it back in. Now the laptop doesn't turn on at all - DOA.

Edited by Sophia L, 11 June 2012 - 03:30 PM.

Sophia L

Sophia L

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
I must have disconnected aomething else. Could you please post a photo and tell me what else may have gotten disconnected now? I'm a good study but I need a little more detailed instruction. :(

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Probably disconnected the power switch. It's right next to the speaker connection on the same little circuit board.

I'll get some more pictures of the bezel tonight along with some more complete instructions.

Got to get today's considerable paperwork done first, though.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I was mistaken about not having to take out any screws. I do apologize. The three screws under the battery will need to be removed to facilitate removal of the speaker bezel. The image below shows the two connectors I suspect are causing the problems...note the brown locking bars are in the "unlocked" position. The connector for the power button is in the upper left corner of the circuit board labeled "C14". The speaker bar connector is to the left of the C14 board. These should be the only connectors on the left side of the bezel with locking bars on them.

Posted Image

This next image shows the cables we're interested in poking out from under the keyboard. The one on the left is for the power button...the one on the right is for the speakers. It may be easier to connect these cables with the keyboard partially or completely removed. Remember...there is a screw in the center of the keyboard that is accessed by removing the memory bay cover.

Posted Image

This last image shows the bezel with the cables seated in their respective connectors with the locking bars in the "locked" position. Note that there is a white line on the cables that should be just visible above the connector when the cable is properly seated. It should be hidden by the locking bar before it's moved to the locked position.

Posted Image

Then snap the keyboard back into place and replace the screw in the memory bay. Snap the bezel back in place over the keyboard, inserting the top (closest to display) first, then "rolling" it down against the keyboard until it snaps into place...secure it with the three screws in the battery bay. Install the battery and see if it will fire up...and play sounds through the speakers.

Sophia L

Sophia L

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

I was mistaken about not having to take out any screws.

I, actually, thought so too from the start because I remembered that when we followed the YouTube video, it took quite a lot of disassembly until we got to that part...

But... since YOU are the guru, I followed on blind faith like gurus' followers do.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

The three screws under the battery will need to be removed to facilitate removal of the speaker bezel.

Actually the middle screw is MIA from last week. Is it OK to not have that one?

Thanks so much for all the pictures. I'll give it a shot tomorrow after work. I'm a little zombiefied after not sleeping at all last night.

So you don't think I did any major damage by trying to pry the bezel off? Sorry that I'm taking you away from your paperwork. Who likes paperwork anyway? Unless, of course, if you're sending out invoices to be paid. Posted Image

Edited by Sophia L, 12 June 2012 - 12:40 AM.

Sophia L

Sophia L

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
Hi. The power is OK However, the locking bar that holds the speaker cable broke when I was yanking the bezel open... I don't quite know what to do about that... Whatever piece broke off is no longer there so I can't even attempt to glue it back.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Got any playing cards? I opened up a machine one time and some clever technician had used a bit of playing card to lock the cable in place. While it is not a repair that I would usually recommend, it did work.

Cut a small strip of a playing card the same width as the cable and about 1/2" long. Insert the cable into the connector and then slide the strip of playing card into the connector on top of the cable to hold it in place.

When you say the power cable is "OK". Is it working or does the cable just appear to be plugged in? In either case, I would re-seat the cable just to make sure.