Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

NVIDIA display driver problems

• Please log in to reply

JCDonkykong

JCDonkykong

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Ever since I used Windows Live Movie Maker for a project, my display driver seems to spazz out whenever I open World of Warcraft. I seems to change all of the pure blacks into a red color with black lines. When I was using Windows Live Movie Maker, my computer would not recover and I would have to restart, but I no longer have that problem.

I have re-installed my display driver twice already, and it has done nothing... Just today when I tapped my fingers next to my mouse pad, I did the same thing until I tapped my fingers enough to fix it. This makes me wonder if it's a hardware problem... I did happen to be Skyping at the time, but I don't know if that has any significance.

I did a complete scan of my computer with my anti-virus software (Avast) and no viruses were found.

My computer is an ASUS G73jh gaming laptop.

Any help is appreciated

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Welcome to GeekstoGo

I think I am corect in saying that the model was released in late 2010.

However, how old is yours please., the reason I ask is

Just today when I tapped my fingers next to my mouse pad, I did the same thing until I tapped my fingers enough to fix it

tapping next to the mouse pad, does not normally cause or fix such a problem, and if the laptop is within any extended warrantry/service agreement that is certainly your first and most appropriate action

JCDonkykong

JCDonkykong

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I bought it at Best Buy almost a year ago. A few months after I bought this one, they started selling the new model instead.
I'm not quite sure when the computer itself was actually released.

The tapping was a one time thing. It's all of the other stuff that I am really worried about. However, I don't like this weird tapping thing one bit.

Edited by JCDonkykong, 14 May 2012 - 11:48 AM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Well, it must be your decision, we will if you wish have a look at it and see if we can ascertain the cause, but my advice is that first of all you examine and see what the situation is, with the warrantry service agreement

If it has a 12 months arrangement and depending on what Best Buy say, I can ssure you that the best course is to get it back there ASAP, as once outside the 12 months if it does need a part replacing, you will be talking - expensive.

When you say all the other things, what do you mean, I read it as the red and black and lines were also caused by the tapping on the case and the tapping again stopped them.

If this is the situation it sound very like, poor connections or possibly the start of a more serious problem, with the motherboard and if it was to need a new motherboard - that you were paying for and with labour charges you are really talking expensive

JCDonkykong

JCDonkykong

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
It's just that the tapping was a one time occurrence. The problem happens every time I open up World of Warcraft. When I try the tapping thing now nothing happens.
Although I do understand the tapping thing was not good at all.

It was my graduation gift last year, so my dad will need to look for the receipt. He doesn't recall if he got the warranty.

By the way you are talking, it sounds like there is no fix it myself solution.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
No I did not mean that - no fix it yourself solution
what I meant was - as I thought I had made clear - if a computer, especially a laptop, on which work is generally more costly than a desktop, needs a part replacing, the time to explore the possibility of a guarantee.service agreement claim is obviously before the 12 months expires and not after.

JCDonkykong

JCDonkykong

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Oh alright, I got ya.
Well I hope he finds a warranty haha

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
If not, come back here and we can have a look at it