Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Suddenly, no default email !

• Please log in to reply

Amlak

Amlak

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
Your choice, but just to note.

IE reset is not as scary as it sounds. But it does mean any passwords saved by IE might have to be resaved, but that does not mean you lose your login details to any sites you login to. You just have to retype them again. Your home page will also be reset, but that is very very easy to restore.

Advertisements

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts

Don't remember if I have upgraded, think it's been on Explorer 7 for some time now....I do regular Windows updates, etc. How would I restore my default settings? Would I ruin everything else by doing so?

Above you noted that you think IE7 is the browser version installed. Win7 Shipped with IE8. Click on Help in the menu bar then click on About Internet Explorer to verify which version is installed. IE9 should have been introduced with Windows Updates.

I would try resetting IE as suggested previously. Following is a link that will help explain what is changed when you reset IE. Please read. It's not as scary as it sounds:

Reset Internet Explorer settings

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
dumbbroad88

There has been some confusion here.
You have posted in the XP forum

As a result of the last post by my colleague DonnaB, I now notice, that you did indeed state on your first post, Operating System Windows 7.
I very much doubt that that Dell B120 came with Windows 7 and indeed I also doubt that it is really capable of running Windows 7. It originally came with a 40Gb HDD and just 256Mb ram. If the ram has not been upgragded it certainly cannot run Windows 7

I did not realise before the post by DonnaB that you are, you say, operating Windows 7.

Please confirm
Go Start (Windows button)
In search box, or in run if it is XP. type
msinfo32
On the page that opens click edit, click select all, click edit again, click copy and paste the to your reply please.

dumbbroad88

dumbbroad88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Not computer literate: I have XP Home Edition, Service Pk 3, Version 2002, added 2 G RAM a few years ago when I had a problem with it, took it to Best Buy for repair. Am now running Windows 7.

dumbbroad88

dumbbroad88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Checked my current Windows update list, apparently I am running 8 not 7, jeez how did that happen..... Ok, this is confusing to me, I double checked my running edition: 5.1, Service Pack 3, YET I keep getting updates downloaded for Windows 7 andn 8 when I run my updates, would that be causal??

Edited by dumbbroad88, 17 May 2012 - 07:25 AM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Well I do not know about my colleagues but I am totally confused.

Send me the info I asked for please

dumbbroad88

dumbbroad88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Can't send it because I don't have the savvy to send what you ask, not computer literate, as I said. Am just trying to correct my default email so it will work, will have to try the reset suggested earlier, I suppose.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
It does not require any knowledge all you do is follow this

Go Start (Windows button)
In search box, or in run if it is XP. type
msinfo32
On the page that opens click edit, click select all, click edit again, click copy and paste the to your reply please.

to paste to your reply you simply right click on the message panel

and when you say

Am just trying to correct my default email so it will work

that is what we are doing as well, but I need to see that report in order to establish what exactly you have, as with respect, you seem to be most uncertain