Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IE not responding, no defrag, & failed updates.

• Please log in to reply

Amlak

Amlak

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
Yeah, I understand why this would be confusing. I don't exactly know the "why" answer to this question, but I do know having the same Service Packs somehow often always enables the "Upgrade" option. And I'm hoping that this would be the case here.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Just to help a little go HERE to see how to slipstream a Vista disk. The method works for either SP1 or SP2 so you just have to put the right one in that step.

Sarous

Sarous

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
It says to install to a secondary partition.. This hard drive does not have a partition. How do I set one up?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What part of the instructions are you at exactly? It shouldn't be asking to install anything at this point as all you are trying to do is include the SP with the Vista installation disk.

Sarous

Sarous

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Completed making the install disk, attempted to install, but "Upgrade" was still grayed out.

Amlak

Amlak

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
Darn, that's unfortunate.

Sometimes, in such a case, it's best to let it go for now until someone has the solution for you and just use another browser like FireFox (heaps better than IE anyway). Although I understand how annoying it would be.

Sarous

Sarous

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Now that I know how to set up the partitions and such, its a shame I can't simply copy the files relevant to SFC from one partition to the primary OS and let it repair itself that way.

Amlak

Amlak

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
I'm presuming you don't want to go for a format at all. Because that would be the quickest way to fix it.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Wait is this a upgrade disk?

Sarous

Sarous

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
If theres any way at all to keep from formatting, I'd like to try that first, yeah.

Far as I can tell, its a full install disk.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You can't run SFC except from within windows.
I don't understand post 20 where you said:

Completed making the install disk, attempted to install, but "Upgrade" was still grayed out.

There should be no upgrade there. Have you tried a repair installation or a startup repair?

Tutorial on how to do a Startup Repair in Vista located HERE.

Sarous

Sarous

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Done startup repair a dozen times, no errors. Indeed, it has no flaws in its startup sequence.

#20 was the attempt for a repair install, but it doesn't give the option to upgrade, being greyed-out. Had to make a slipstream disk, because a clean Vista disk doesn't give the option to upgrade; only gives the option for a clean install.

Formatted the 2nd partition, and attempted to clean install using the Slipstream disk- which failed. So its likely I messed up while making it.

Also, after reinstalling the partition from the borrowed disk, tried to SFC the primary OS from the partition, gives the same "pending repair" error.

Edited by Sarous, 26 May 2012 - 03:55 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I would agree and it's probably best to make a new slipstream disk and try again. The other option is to do a Parallel installation with your original existing disk and then do all the updates there. You can move all your data over to the new installation but all your programs would have to be reinstalled.

Sarous

Sarous

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
In the instructions, it says to enter:

imagex /compress maximum /flags "Ultimate" /capture d: c:\install.wim "Ultimate"

With a note saying

You may need to replace "HomePremium" after the /flags switch with whatever edition of Vista you need installed!

Since I'm trying to create a Home Basic SP2, what would I enter, HomeBasic?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes