Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to remove Ubuntu from Windows Boot Manager

• Please log in to reply

Hoz_Turner

Hoz_Turner

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Quite a long time ago, I was experimenting with Ubuntu and installed it on my Windows 7 computer onto another partition. Although, I used a program called EASEUS Partition Master to double check my system recently, and it seems I have 10 megabytes in a separate un-named partition for some reason. Still, I doubt it's the same partition that I had put Ubuntu on. In fact, I'm not even 100% sure that I partitioned my hard-drive.

Anyway, I seem to have removed and uninstalled Ubuntu a long while back. However, every time I start-up my PC, I am sent to "Windows Boot Manager" and I am made to select either Windows 7 or Ubuntu from the menu options. I have no idea why this entry is still there. I have tolerated this for some time now, but I've come to get sick of it.

I tried to use BCDEDIT (ran CMD as administrator in command-line), but Ubuntu identifier was not present. I tried the EASYBCD utility to find the "Ubuntu" entry and delete it, but that program did not detect the entry. I tried using "MSCONFIG" and searching the "Boot" menu to find the "Ubuntu" entry, but that program didn't detect the entry either. This is a mystery and it's driving me nuts.

Any ideas?

Regards,

Hossein.

Edited by Hoz_Turner, 21 May 2012 - 10:52 AM.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Welcome to Geeks to Go

If you installed Ubuntu you certainly did create a partition, even if you were not aware of doing so.

Unless you installed what is known as Ubuntu WUBI

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wubi

I was going to suggest the use of EasyBCD, to rebuild the standard Windows 7 boot loader

However, the easiest way is to go Windows button, right click Computer, click properties, on left pane click advanced system settings,
Click the settings button, on startup, system failure and debugging

On the drop arrow make the default operating system windows 7 - click the arrow - you should see ubuntu and windows 7.
click windows 7 , then to the right - time to display operating systems - make 5 and then all you have to do is wait 5 seconds and it will automatically boot into windows.

If however you have the GRUB boot screen, rather than the Windows 7 boot loader, then the easiest way is to use EasyBCD
http://neosmart.net/...+and+Bootsector

CAUTION - backup - create repair disc - create image first.
Just in case it goes wrong.

That is programs,
maintenance
backup and restore
image on left pane.

AND DO NOT alter, or in any way interfere with the 100Mb partition it is created when windows7 is installed and is used in the recovery environment.

Hoz_Turner

Hoz_Turner

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi.

I tried your suggestion now, but Windows 7 is already the default operating system and "Ubuntu" is not listed in the drop-down box.

I am pretty sure I don't have the GRUB boot screen. The boot screen clearly says "Windows Boot Manager" at the top.

Edited by Hoz_Turner, 21 May 2012 - 05:05 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
If Windows 7 is the default operating system and you reduce the timeout to 5 seconds, you will only have to wait five seconds until it boots to Windows 7.
If you look at the screen it will tell you underneath the choose which operating system to boot, that it will boot to the default one in - and it will now be five seconds Therefore you will not have to choose anything, just leave it., and it will boot to Windows 7.

The only other option is the one you say you have tried, and on the link I sent to EasyBCD.

It is possible to manually edit the bcd entries for the windows boot loader, but not knowing exactly how you installed Ubuntu, and more to the point, how you uninstalled it, I can assure you that the best course of action now is to leave things as they are.

Otherwise you may end up, with a system that will not boot into windows and then you will be forced into a repair of the boot configuration data.