Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

GPU Failure?

• Please log in to reply

l3th4l

l3th4l

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
Well... Played Diablo 3 for an hour or so yesterday, everything worked fine, temps were 80-85C all the time. Played two games of League of Legends, in both matches PC hung up at around 12th-15th minute, both times at 80-82C. I could see just one image (At the bright side, no black screen this time), but could hear all the sound in-game. Winamp sound stopped as well for some reason. I'll go and reinstall windows now, lets just hope it's some hidden software issue and not hardware. :(

Edited by l3th4l, 02 June 2012 - 07:47 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts
Thanks for the update - I wish it was better news though :(
The trouble with prolonged heat is that it damages components gradually, your new fans do seem to have helped though.

l3th4l

l3th4l

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
You can refer to me "retard" from now on. Reinstalled windows, formated the partition where I stored all the stuff I needed to keep before reinstalling the windows, I feel so dumb right now. Any program that would allow me to restore at least some fles from the disk format?

EDIT: Found some applications, going to try one by one...

Edited by l3th4l, 02 June 2012 - 12:38 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts
http://download.cnet...4-10753287.html
Good luck.

l3th4l

l3th4l

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
Well, reinstalling windows fixed some issues. Only 60C in LoL, no more restarts. Couldn't recover the files I needed, but w/e, I'll get some of them back in time. Thanks for all the help, thread can be locked now. :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts
Glad to hear that the temps have dropped but sorry that you lost some data, thanks for concluding your topic and take care :thumbsup:

l3th4l

l3th4l

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
Extremely sad to revive this topic, but seems like I have to. So the summer came along and brought high temperatures along side. What's happening is the PC decides to freeze mid-game (just like it used to before) and then just stay frozen until I restart. I know this is temporary since it won't always be 30+ in the room, but this is still extremely annoying. One thing I noticed is that before freezing there is a "TK" (Yeah, hard to describe sounds) and then a sound like air gets pushed out of somewhere "Pfffff". After 3-10 seconds from those sounds, the screen freezes on one frame, but I can still hear the music etc., but it also disappears after 20~ seconds. I always run afterburner, the temps are around 75C degrees when it shuts down (My GPU should be able to take far higher), the GPU fan speed is at about 75%, the GPU usage is at around 20-30%. At this point I'd be happy to at least know what the problem is, asking for a fix would be too optimistic. I will record the sound PC makes before freezing tomorrow. Thanks in advance, sorry for bothering you once again.

EDIT: The CPU temp is usually around 60C, will find some software to monitor it in-game instead of alt-tabbing to speedfan every few minutes.

Edited by l3th4l, 29 July 2012 - 02:33 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts
Would it be possible for you to take the side off the case and direct a desktop fan in there to help with the cooling.
Apparently the GPU is very close to the chipset and the extra heat between the two is documented as causing issues with overheating, see the Newegg feedback tab and you will see it being mentioned there http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813128014

l3th4l

l3th4l

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
Good design team gigabyte got. Alright, thanks for the quick feedback. I'll buy a desktop fan in the near future, side of my case is always open. What a dumb issue, really.

EDIT: "The northbridge heatsink set gets extremly hot and causes windows to crash at start up or when under loads with a sata drive. Hotfix was suggested and worked for me. IE Got to device manager/IDE ATA controllers/NVIDIA nfource serail ATA/controller/properties/port # your Hard is on/ then unclick "Enable Command Queuing. Fixes problem. Doesnt hurt to get some extra cooling in there either." Could this possibly work? I don't see how it fixes the heat issue though.

Edited by l3th4l, 29 July 2012 - 03:14 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts
A lot of overheating problems are caused by hot air simply being circulated around inside the case instead of it being expelled, directing a desktop fan in there will do this more effectively, I would try and borrow a fan for testing purposes first though.

Advertisements

l3th4l

l3th4l

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
I will just buy desktop fan without borrowing one, if it doesn't work, I'll have a fan for myself when it's hot. :P

Hmm, I also read that having the side of my case could increase the airflow and thus reduce the temperature. Worth trying? The side of my case is always off, but I haven't tried putting it back on since I bought the two fans earlier.

Edited by l3th4l, 30 July 2012 - 08:08 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,786 posts
Good luck with it and please let us know how it goes.