Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Registry File Failure - C0000218

• Please log in to reply

kyn

kyn

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Hello,

I am getting a blue screen error: Registry File Failure - C0000218
Registry cannot load the hive file
\systemroot\system32\config\security or its log alternate
corrupt, absent, not writable

I'm on an Acer Aspire laptop, with Windows Vista

I just finished cleaning my computer free of malware with the help of this website (Thank you mailprog)
However, along the process...my audio stopped working, and files were missing including the eRecovery Management
I tried restoring back to a factory default setting, and when the computer restarted I got the Blue Screen.

Not only do I not have any disks, but the CD drive does not recognize CD's anyway.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your in a bad way...you would have to replace the bad cd drive in the laptop in order to proceed with any repair attempt...is the laptop worth it...
there may be a way to boot a vista repair from a usb flash drive if your laptop supports it...it would be in the bios
the how to is here...or here...
please note I have never tried it myself