Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Exploring a Hard Drive Upgrade

• Please log in to reply

Chimiti

Chimiti

• PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Earlier in the week, I thought maybe my Hard Drive was about to bite the dust.
My computer was making a lot of noise, but it turned out to be the Microprocessor Fan that was the culprit.

Nevertheless, this prompted me to get informed as to just exactly how, should it one day become necessary, I WOULD go about swapping out my HP Pavilion 6730's tiny 10 Gig Hard Drive (Seagate ST310212A) with this 400 Gig Hard Drive (Seagate ST3400620A) from my Dell GX270 computer that is out of commission?

Question: It IS perfectly OK to swap out that small Hard Drive with the much larger one, right? Everything is compatible and cool, right?
Both Hard Drives have the same Cable / Wiring setup from what I saw.

Here is what really worries me.
From Googling up Info on this subject, apparently after the larger Hard Drive has been installed, I'd have to run my HP Pavilion 6730's BIOS Setup Utility and select Auto-Detect and Logical Block Addressing (LBA). Yesterday I conducted a trial run of looking in my HP Pavilion's BIOS Setup Utility ... and didn't see this Auto-Detect and Logical Block Addressing (LBA) of which the Info speaks. Where exactly, in what screens within my HP Pavilion 6730's BIOS Setup Utility would I find this Auto-Detect and Logical Block Addressing (LBA)? Are they hidden in some Sub-Menus?

After those 2 Settings are confirmed to be in the correct modes, would the Hard Drive then be ready for a Windows XP Home reinstall?
Or what other surprises should I expect?
Any other details, Settings along the way in any stage of the process of which I should be aware?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
You may have problems getting that computer to see a 400Gb hard drive, because of it's age. A lot of machines of that time are unable to see a hard drive bigger than 32Gb.
You can certainly try it and see what happens, but I'd be surprised if it'll talk to it.