Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Advanced boot options loop, repair console won't work, need to ext

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Makes perfect sense to me and you will just have to copy all the individual data files you need to save to either a cd or a flash drive. You could also use the external drive but make sure it is connected before you boot up the system to the linux live cd.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
jencwu

Please accept my apologies

You were perfectly correct, it was entirely my error.

I read it as - my external drive backs up all that is new or changed, so everything is backed up

I realise that is NOT what you said and
somehow I misread it.

rshaffer61
Apologies to you of course, as well.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No problem from my side Macboatmaster. :thumbsup:

jencwu

jencwu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Please accept my apologies

You were perfectly correct, it was entirely my error.

Haha, I was sort of scratching my head on why you were confused, as I felt I had been pretty clear ;) No problem about the mistake, it happens!

And thank you rshaffer61, I will try Puppy tomorrow as my husband is gone until then, and I need him to tell me which files to save since it's his computer. I'll report back the results.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Mac and I will stand by for your results and be ready to continue after everything is safely backed up. :thumbsup:

jencwu

jencwu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Successfully got the files off the computer using Puppy Linux & files all open just fine on a working computer.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Now you will need to replace the hard drive and then we can start with a fresh install. Be ready to get all the updates to Windows and for all the drivers.
I will stay with this topic till everything is back to normal and you are running correctly. :thumbsup:

jencwu

jencwu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
My husband decided to just get a new laptop. Thank you so much for your help.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thank you for the update and I am sorry the issue could not be resolved without the purchase of a new laptop. I am glad he got something a little newer and I'm sure he will enjoy it very much.
Thank you for your patience and allowing us to assist you with this issue.