Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Startup repair hangs

• Please log in to reply

JL9

JL9

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello,

I have an Acer AX1301, and when it boots, the startup repair screen comes up.

The startup repair loads files, and then, sometimes, I can select input, but then it just hangs on the blue splash screen with the bird.

I have left it for up to 24 hours, but it never goes to the next step.

Safe mode doesn't work, and I have tried doing the repair from a Windows 7 recovery disc. No good. The first time I used the disc, it got to the point where it was searching for Windows, but seemed to hang on that.

Any suggestions?

Also, if I press Alt+F10, I can get to the Acer recovery, which has 2 options, one which will completely re-install everything and clear the drive, and another that will retain user data. If I do the user data one, what will I lose on the drive? I have my files backed up, but will I have to re-install my various programs and preferences, email settings, etc., or will all of that be retained?

Thanks.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Welcome to Geeks to Go

Can you access - repair your computer on F8 advanced boot options and from there instead of startup repair can you get to cmd prompt

as on here
http://www.sevenforu...ry-options.html

JL9

JL9

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Do you mean safe mode with command prompt? I haven't tried that. Safe mode doesn't work though.

I'll try it. If I can...?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
No I mean as on the link F8 and do you have on there
Repair Your computer

Read the link please - the reason we use links is that it saves a lot of typing.

OEM - then go 6 - option 2 as on the link

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
JL9
I wondered if you have made any progress
Please update your topic
Thank you

JL9

JL9

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello,

No I haven't made any progress. Nothing was working and I didn't have time to deal with it.

I checked the drive with a Ubuntu Live disk utility and it said there were two hundred and something bad sectors. I am going to take the drive out, put it in a USB enclosure, and see if I can run Chkdsk on it with a different Windows computer.

Thanks very much.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
If that report of bad sectors is confirmed by a chkdsk, secure your important personal data if you have not done so and replace the hard drive. Bad sectors cannot be repaired the data is simply read and re written to good sectors.

Thank you for the update it is always appreciated.