Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard Drive Replacement Dell Desktop.

• Please log in to reply

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
I have posted separately so that you cannot miss this post

Now I am looking where they will go and I see the (4 sticks in there)

Please confirm that you DO NOT have four sticks at the moment as I believe you have two of 512 Mb each. Therefore you should have two empty slots.

From Speccy

Posted ImageRAM

Memory slots

Total memory slots: 4

Used memory slots: 2

Free memory slots: 2

I have amended my post 127, as I had the sticks in the incorrect slots.

Alzeimer

Thank you - my error, I had them wrong way round.

Advertisements

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
Macboatmaster.

I have 4 slots with a stick in all 4 slots.

I am reading all that has been provided on this topic this very moment. Thanks for all the info

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Go start, right click My Computer click properties

what does that window say regarding the quantity of ram please

NOTE

If you have NOT completed the order from Crucial - cancel ordering.

If you have ORDERED send a email immediately asking if you may cancel, explain that you were being helped with problems on the computer and the system showed 1Gb ram in two 512MB sticks

Indeed I think you said that Crucials scanner reported the same

HOWEVER although Speccy reported two slots empty and two slots populated with 512MB in each, as soon as I saw the mention of four sticks, alarm bells rang and I see now on your first post in the Malware forum you said

I have a Dell Intel Pentium D Processor 830 (3GHz) w/Dual Core Technology. 2GB DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz 500 GB Serial ATA II Hard Drive (7200 RPM)

Clearly it appears two sticks of ram have either become dislodged, as Speccy reports as stated and if CRUCIAL reported the same, that simply confirms the issue.

Either way until we sort out what has occurred you do not want the order completed - from Crucial and if indeed you do have

2GB ram that is quite sufficient and had I have known you had 2Gb I would not have suggested upgrading.

You will not gain any real benefit in increasing from 2 to 3 GB and Windows 32 bit will not see more than 3GB.

I trust you will realise that I have been misled by Speccy and indeed with respect you must have forgotten that your post in Malware stated that you had 2GB.

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
1.00 GB of RAM

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
4x256 megs modules is what it sounds like you have then. :ph34r:

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Well you said as I stated on your first post in Malware that you had 2Gb ram.

Speccy says you have 1Gb in TWO by 512Mb sticks

YOU now confirm that Windows reports 1gb RAM.

WHAT please did Crucial report - when you had them scan the system.

Speccy says you have TWO empty slots

If that is correct it cannot be FOUR by 256MB - but of course my colleague rshaffer61 has not had cause to read the Speccy report

I would check that two sticks have not become dislodged.

THE MOST IMPORTANT is if that order has NOT been processed CANCEL IT NOW

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
OK ... I understand what you are referring too . I do recall me stating that in the other forum.

I have NOT ordered anything as of yet from crucial ... was waiting to make sure I was ordering the right thing before placing the order.

I do see 4 slots two on top (1) black clip ... (2)white clip ... and then two more below that (3)black clip, then (4)white clip.

[attachment=59266:photo23.JPG]

My paperwork says it DOES have "2GB DDR2 SDRAM at 533 MHz ... Here it is

[attachment=59267:photo24.JPG]

I'm so sorry I may have dislodged something .. I have turned my system of and have unplugged the power cord ... Should I try to pull them out then insert them again?

Edited by Lexy610, 28 July 2012 - 02:44 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Do not worry NO harm done

My great concern was that you had ordered from Crucial

We know there are four slots, but how many of the slots have ram in I can see from the image that two do, I just cannot be certain if the other two do.

You will see if the clips are secured in place to the end of the ram sticks in the notch.

Again LOOK at the manual that I sent and the image Alzeimer sent

DO NOT TOUCH the ram components.

Take antistatic precautions take hold of the bear metal case inside with both hands,

CHECK if the clips are in place.

TO SAVE ME a lot of typing read the manual

THere is something WRONG as I have just referred back to the topic in malware when CompCav was helping and one of the OTL log reports says

]1022.09 Mb[/u] Total Physical Memory | 239.96 Mb Available Physical Memory

WHICH is 1GB

and the spec you have says 2GB and Speccy says IGb in TWO 512MB sticks, so either two sticks are dislodged or there is another problem.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
This may be the answer if the sticks are not dislodged go to BIOS setup

where you went for the DVD drive

Memory Info

Displays the amount of Installed Memory, Memory Speed, Memory Channel Mode, and a description of the Memory Technology. This option also displays a table that describes the memory size, whether the memory module is ECC capable, single or dual rank, type, and organization

Check memory especially memory channel mode.

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
oh no .. I did touch them :(

I opened the machine up and saw one was just hanging off the clip so I put it back in place and touched the others to make sure they were secure .. I then took a photo to show you all :(

Could the touching cause any damage?? :(

Going to check BIOS now ....

Advertisements

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
I just turned my system on and it made some revving noises, I could hear my dvd/cd start and saw the light flash then it stopped ... but computer is now on but nothing is showing on my monitor??? I made sure everything was plugged but still nothing on my screen :(

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Well the easiest way forward - by that I mean the most efficient is for you to go to another computer and read the manual re the ram

Taking the necessary precautions release the clips on the one that was not properly clipped in and ON the other stick with the SAME coloured clips. the ram stick will then lift out holding the edges of the stick not the components.

Check that you are inserting them correctly with the slot on the base of the stick matching the space on the SLOT where the stick locates.

CHECK that there is no visible dust in the slot where the stick was not properly clipped in.

Place them back in the slots.

Reboot if it does not work TAKE the same two sticks out and reboot again.

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
So to be clear .. you want me to take out the one that was hanging off (in black clip) and the other stick from the other black clip and reinsert them back in the same slots and make sure no dust?

I did do that ... and nothing .. still nothing on

Edited by Lexy610, 28 July 2012 - 03:50 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

Reboot if it does not work TAKE the same two sticks out and reboot again.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is the video onboard or a add on card. If add on you may have knocked it loose.