Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard Drive Replacement Dell Desktop.

• Please log in to reply

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
[attachment=59195:photo20.JPG]

See the bottom where it shows the capital "S" with the red circle crossed through it ...

Also I went to my device manager ... I do not see DVD/CD :(

Edited by Lexy610, 25 July 2012 - 11:02 PM.

Advertisements

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
[attachment=59196:photo20.JPG]

Sorry it didnt post on my last post

and this is my device manager

[attachment=59197:photo21.JPG]

Edited by Lexy610, 25 July 2012 - 11:24 PM.

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
Also I ran MSE on my system that I just put the new drive in and accidentally hit the full scan .. after like a few min I cancelled it and it showed this .....

[attachment=59198:photo22.JPG]

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
In view of post 93 your first and most important job is to go here

http://www.geekstogo...cleaning-guide/

follow the instructions please for posting in our malware forum and please provide in that post a link to this thopic so that the Malware expert can see what has been done and recommended here on this topic,

Then when you have a clean bill of health come back here and we will resume on the DVD and the ram purchase.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

See the bottom where it shows the capital "S" with the red circle crossed through it

thats a firefox addon called no script
what it does is not allow any scripts to run without you manually allowing them like for your bank site and the like that require them to work...it is a nice addon for safety but only if you know what your doing...you can get rid of it by clicking on tools...add-ons...then click on disable or remove...
I quit recommending it to clients that weren't really tech savvy or I would get constant calls asking questions why such and such sites no longer worked as there is a training period similar to training a firewall like zone alarm

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
Hi I had deleted the Trojan and ran the full scan on MSE again and it was clean. Ran it again this morning before work and it was clean. Would you still want me to go to Malware forum?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
In view of that just wait a short while and I will post again on that issue - re the MSE.

Have you checked if you have dislodged a connection for the DVD - in the case.

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
Ok no problem ....

When I last looked I didn't notice any loose cables. But I will check as soon as I get home. I'm replying from work. I should be home in the next hour or so and will check and update you.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I have consulted with a colleague, from our Malware experts and he advices that the item found by MSE is left over from your visit to our Malware forum, but was INERT as the actual infection was removed.

The expert who was helping you could not get rid of that trace due to the bad sectors on your old hard drive.

Therefore it is nothing to worry about.

Accordingly there is no requirement to visit out Malware forum

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
Hi I just checked the cable from the DVD/CD drives and followed the wires to the power and all seems to be OK and plugged ...

Thank you for following up on my trojan that was found I do appreciate it.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

Hi I just checked the cable from the DVD/CD drives and followed the wires to the power and all seems to be OK and plugged

there are two cables to the cd drive ...one for power and 1 for data that connects to the motherboard...you should disconnect and reconnect both ends on the data cable and unplug and replug the power connector

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
I checked the data cables .. one to each DVD/CD and power and followed it to the power and motherboard and all seems OK and connected.

I put a cd in the top one ... closed it and once closed it blinks on and off and I hear it running then it just stops and light goes out. Did the same with the bottom one as well ...

Edited by Lexy610, 26 July 2012 - 05:25 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
don't just follow the cables...unplug them and reconnect them...unplug the power from the wall first

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
I did. I unplug all cables from DVD/cd and wall & computer

Lexy610

Lexy610

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts
Then I connected all cables again. Then plugged to computer, then wall.