Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows 7 not genuine

• Please log in to reply

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Well it must be different in the USA as here in the UK both the link I provided on my post 10 and the clickable telphone on my post 13 take me direct to a Microsoft support number.
Alternatively if I click the other options I am taken to opening an online support case.

May I apologise if I have confused the issue by not undertanding that aspects were not the same in the USA

I still believe that the MGA link will provide a more indicative report

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I did the phone activation and this is the number it gave me: 1-888-725-1047

There is an good copy of slui.exe here:

Directory of C:\Windows\winsxs\amd64_microsoft-windows-security-spp-ux_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7601.17514_none_b9e7a42ab571bbb9

11/20/2010 06:25 AM 349,696 slui.exe
1 File(s) 349,696 bytes

This is on my Win 7 Pro X64 system. It will be the same for all 64bit versions. You should be able to find it on your hard drive in that location also. You can get to it from the Recovery Console I believe.

If not, you can create a bootable Live Linux CD. Download the bootable Puppy Linux iso image. Get the latest version available, currently slacko-5.3.3-4g-SCSI.iso. If you don't have a burning program that will burn .iso files get burncdcc, a small FAST no frills iso burning program or ImgBurn, another small, fast and simple burner.

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you.

1. Start BurnCDCC
2. Browse to the .iso file you want to burn on cd/dvd ......in this case its puppy linux
3. Select the .iso file
4. Suggestion.... Check the option "Fix close"
5. Click on "Start"

Make sure in the BIOS Setup, the CD/DVD drive is the first boot device. Put the Puppy Linux CD in the drive, then reboot your computer. Puppy will boot and run totally in ram.

Edit: Here is a good write up on using Puppy Linux