Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to create a .sln file containing Visual Basic 6 projects

• Please log in to reply

pdconway

pdconway

GeekU

• PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
We have numerous Visual Basic 6 projects that we would like to incorporate into 1 solution file so we could add it to Team Foundation Server 2010. We are also using Visual Studio 2010. Is this even possible to do? I have searched for days and haven't been able to find any information. I would appreciate any help you could give me.

Advertisements

Grimxonic

Grimxonic

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
The replies in this thread will help you out:

http://stackoverflow...vb-net-projects

Let me know if it doesn't work :)

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
Hey there pdconway,

Sorry I have noticed that this post isn't the newest, but maybe you still require assistance. Also know Grimxonic has mentioned a reference, I would just like to add my 2 cents.

Visual Studio 2010 does not give you the ablitly to convery VB6 file to VB .NET files. This is probably due to how outdated VB6 actually is. Here is the link provided in VS2010 when trying to open a VB6 project:
http://msdn.microsof...o/ms788229.aspx

Hopefully this will help getting your started in migrating to the new .NET framework. This is mainly the issue that you will have when converting VB6 to .NET, because the entire framework has changed. Most of your functions you will probably have to re-write completely, which is a good thing anyways. Let me elaborate:

Assuming you migrating from large projects, sometimes the conversions can appear to have been successful but functions may work unexpectedly. This will require you to inspect/test ALL your functions to make sure they do what you require them to do.
Some functions you have written that may have used the old framework might not even convert and you will need to find out if those functions are still available in .NET. In some cases old functionality could have been dropped all together and it will require you to re-write functionality (It is possible to copy over those libraries to your new solutions and use them exactly as you would have in VB6, but this still poses issues [Those libraries might also be dependent on the old framework]). Although this may not be such a bad thing either, you could find libraries that do the same thing as your old functionality, but better, faster and more efficiently . As far as I know you will probably have to redesign all your GUI as well, but at least now you have allot more to work with (Transparency, Ooooooo Posted Image)

So to answer your question yes it is very possible, but may require a little bit of manual labor. The link provided above might lead you to some tools that automate the conversion process, but again some where down the line you will have to to extensive testing to make sure what was once working before still works.

Please let us know if you require any other information, and also if you need a helping hand to re-write any old functions or just help with the general converting of source. Just drop us the code and we'll see what we can do with it.

Peace Out Posted Image

Random: Looking at the old VS 6.0 Cover... Even though that's a digital copy it actually looks like there's a layer of dust on it (Same goes for the VB6 splash screen):
http://3.bp.blogspot...l Basic 6.0.gif
http://3.bp.blogspot...erprise_jpg.jpg