Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video card broken?

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,790 posts

I will take a look. But downloading torrents was ages ago, and I was aware, thanks for the warning :)

You are welcome :thumbsup:

Thank you for the PSU details which BTW may reveal the cause of your problem, an under powered PSU.

After looking at your list of hardware at the url I used a PSU calculator to find the minimum recommended output your PSU should have (see the screenshot A of the results below)

Seasonic are one of and many would say the best brand of PSU but they will only deliver the maximum stated output, unless malfunctioning of course, both the output and amps on the +12V rail are too low (see screenshot B below)

What happens when using an underpowered PSU is your hardware is deprived of the power it needs to function correctly and so has to work harder than it should, this brings about a premature end of life and as the video card is one of the more power hungry pieces of hardware and provides a visual display it is normally the first device to show signs of damage.

Advertisements

Bylodates

Bylodates

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

I will take a look. But downloading torrents was ages ago, and I was aware, thanks for the warning :)

You are welcome :thumbsup:

Thank you for the PSU details which BTW may reveal the cause of your problem, an under powered PSU.

After looking at your list of hardware at the url I used a PSU calculator to find the minimum recommended output your PSU should have (see the screenshot A of the results below)

Seasonic are one of and many would say the best brand of PSU but they will only deliver the maximum stated output, unless malfunctioning of course, both the output and amps on the +12V rail are too low (see screenshot B below)

What happens when using an underpowered PSU is your hardware is deprived of the power it needs to function correctly and so has to work harder than it should, this brings about a premature end of life and as the video card is one of the more power hungry pieces of hardware and provides a visual display it is normally the first device to show signs of damage.

Wow, thanks for this very thorough search! It really means a lot to me!
An insufficient amount of power could indeed be the problem, but I entered a bit more correct data and it comes out a little less under 550W:

Posted Image

(Because I only have 1 dvd drive I guess)

Could that still solve the problem?

Edited by Bylodates, 14 August 2012 - 12:24 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,790 posts
Sorry I went off the list of installed hardware :blush:

CDROM (Standaard cd-rom-stations) TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S203B ATA Device
DiskDrive (Standaardschijfstations) SAMSUNG HD320KJ ATA Device

Please read the Note, bottom left hand corner of the Newegg screenshot ie the information is only a general idea, I would be guided by the stated card power requirements.

Also please note that the card may be permanently damaged so a new more powerful PSU would not resolve the issue.

Suggestions;
If you can - try the card on another computer that has an adequate power output.
Borrow a suitable PSU to swap in.
Have a reputable tech store test the card.

Bylodates

Bylodates

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Sorry I went off the list of installed hardware :blush:

CDROM (Standaard cd-rom-stations) TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S203B ATA Device
DiskDrive (Standaardschijfstations) SAMSUNG HD320KJ ATA Device

Please read the Note, bottom left hand corner of the Newegg screenshot ie the information is only a general idea, I would be guided by the stated card power requirements.

Also please note that the card may be permanently damaged so a new more powerful PSU would not resolve the issue.

Suggestions;
If you can - try the card on another computer that has an adequate power output.
Borrow a suitable PSU to swap in.
Have a reputable tech store test the card.

Oh ok. I will try everything you've listed.
But once again, thanks a lot for the great help and patience! I really really appreciate it!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,790 posts
You are most welcome :thumbsup:

Please let us know how it is going and any questions give us a shout,