Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Gpu Advice

• Please log in to reply

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Posted Image

Advertisements

magnetmagmaa

magnetmagmaa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Well they tested their Graphics card in my Rig and it worked so, now im certain it is the graphics card and I will have to return it,
I just wanted to ask how I would do this.
Do I need the Document sent with the Graphics card and send it off to the company in a package that I bought it from?
I bought from www.overclockers.co.uk
or do i need to contact the site first?
Thanks for any Help :D

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Read through the site return Policy to find out the terms of their warranty, You may have to pay return shipping, differs a lot, depending on which country you live in. Contact the site, by email so you have a record, they will issue a RMA reference number. Be sure to include everything that was in the original package.

magnetmagmaa

magnetmagmaa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
I RMAed the Graphics card and a new one arrived I plugged it in and checked all connections.
Once again it came up with debug code 97... this is extrememly tedious Any advice?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi magnetmagmaa.

Sorry to see still a problem. I have gone further up the chain looking for more solutions. Please bear with us.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,792 posts
Hello folks,

For convenience magnetmagmaa can you provide the brand and model details for the following here for us;

The MB
The present video card
The video card that the tech store used successfully
The PSU

Thanks

magnetmagmaa

magnetmagmaa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
MB Msi 990FXA gd-80
Grapics card Asus matrix 7970 platinum
Graphics card used by hardware shop Unknown
PSU Xigamatech Centuro 800w

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,792 posts
Thanks for the additional information :thumbsup:

Couple of questions if I may;

Has any attempt been made to overclock the system or video card in any way.
Have you tried booting into Safe Mode and if so what was the outcome.

In case of a bad MB setting try removing the MBs CR2032 battery to restore the default factory setting, see attachment below please.

FWIW of your list of parts the video card is the item that has the most documented failure and instability rate.

magnetmagmaa

magnetmagmaa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Questions are fine :)
and I have not tied to boot up in safe mode yet but one of the times i tried to boot I clicked the overclock button on beforehand but it did not seem t make a difference, and ok I shall remove the battery and then try to boot again, will post results.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,792 posts
:thumbsup:

Advertisements

magnetmagmaa

magnetmagmaa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Woah it has been a long time!
The computer is finally wrorking, I had to stop work on it for ages because I was moving and some stuff like that, Thanks for all your help!

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Thanks for the update.
Great the rig is behaving now.
Did removing the battery solve the problem?

magnetmagmaa

magnetmagmaa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
I was Absent for quite a while and while I was gone someone else sorted out the problem, it seems it was something to do with the motherboard being purchased a few months before the graphics card.

magnetmagmaa

magnetmagmaa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Sorry to bother you guys again but I have another problem, although is it software, should I be starting a new post?
Anyway I downloaded Gpu tweak and was playing around with it, I increased the clock speeds and and voltage ect adn I ran 3D mark vantageand it crashed halfway through (black screened) and was unresponsive I wasnt able to turn it off any other way than holding the power button on my computer.
So when I turned my Computer back on I tried to open gpu tweak to turn it down but it said it was already open, I oped task manager and saw that it was running (although it wasnt on my taskbar) and tried to close it and it wouldnt let me it wouldnt let me do anything with it, I couldnt uninstall it either!!!
I downloaded MSI afterburner and I can see that the clock speeds are still increased but I cant turn it down on MSI afterburner!
what should I do?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
Try this first.
Switch off the PSU, take anti static measures.
Clear CMOS Jumper: JBAT1, User Manual, Page #18. Change the Jumper to pins 2 & 3 (PSU still off) Press and hold the power button in for 10 seconds.
Change the Jumper back to pins 1& 2, > switch on the PSU, boot.
Check using MSI afterburner to see if now OK.