Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Motel WiFi, New antenna :(

• Please log in to reply

penelopepony

penelopepony

• PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
I live in a motel apt., I'm experiencing sluggish mbps, sometimes as low as 24 mpbs. I googled, & it look like a good option to buy an external WiFi.

I have a Toshiba Satelite, not a top machine, but it carries a 802.11N WiFi card. The motel, Linksey 802.11g. I because I have an "N" I can't turn it into "N" speed if I'm piggy backing off "G."

However I'd like to believe I can eliminate SOME of the sluggishness. It seemed after the motel cleaning boy came by & wanted to see what kind of pc everyone was using, because he got booted off the other night using his netbook. I suggested to him he needed to be shopping for "GAMERS" & told him him lil netbook is a pc (He didn't think mine was a pc either, he was looking for motel residents with BIG TOWERS.), but in short, he knew part of our slow speed was because of peak usage in town (3mi away, I reminded him they'd need to be closer & have the password).... I'm a girl, what do I know :D

Right now, I don't know much tho I guess, I bought an external antenna to help my lil laptop maybe be boosted during those periods of heavy microwave use, gamers, etc... (Should have seen his face when I said microwaves effect connection) get through the 7 cement walls & to the Linsky about 800' away from me.

Last night, after refreshing my pc, I attempted AGAIN to use the antenna, BUT couldn't get software to work under Win7 file, & it then demanded my pc give up WiFi, and enter ONLY my Broadband info, I DON'T have a personal BROADBAND.

TY 4 help

Advertisements