Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I can't install ANYTHING on Windows 7

• Please log in to reply

pvparamite

pvparamite

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm having big problems with a Windows 7 operating system on a Sony Vaio laptop. I cannot install ANYTHING new (programs etc) on to the computer and right now I’m also having trouble uninstalling programs. Every time I start the computer, about 2 minutes after its logged into the user account, the Windows Installer box pops up and says 'preparing to install...' and then it disappears after a few seconds never to be seen again until the next time I start up. I don't know what program is doing this, but I presume this is what is effecting me from installing any new programs. All the new programs I try to install get so far through the installation process before they say something along the lines of "you must complete the previous installation to continue" etc, or something similar meaning that there's another installation going on preventing new installations to occur. PLEASE HELP! I literally don't know what program is doing this, or how to fix it. I don't know anything about registry's etc so yeah... Please help :(

Advertisements

narenxp

narenxp

• PipPip
  • 72 posts
Download

Process explorer

Extract it your desktop,restart the PC and launch it when you receive the installer pop up,see which program is causing it.

Download

mini toolbox

List last 10 Event Viewer log
List Installed Programs

Click Go and post the result.