Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to load safe mode

• Please log in to reply

stuckinpurgatory

stuckinpurgatory

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a Dell insipron XPS M1530 with Vista. Unable to reboot, get safe mode, or repair. I will not let me in Windows at all. With stop, turn off or freeze. Not sure if it's Malware or a problem with Windows or combination. Not very computer savy. Trys to load windows in safe mode but stops at windows system 32. I do not have the utilities disk anymore. I'm pretty sure with everything I've tried, F2, F12 and, F8, nothing has worked. Do I reload a new Windows or a new internal hard drive, which has already been replaced once due to a hot running mother board?

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
First, check the hard drive with the manufacturer's diagnostic tools.
Hard Drive Diagnostics Tools and Utilities (Storage) - TACKtech Corp.
Bootable Hard Drive Diagnostics

If defective replace it.

If it's okay, boot your Vista Install DVD and run chkdsk /r from the recovery console, see if that fixes the problem.

How to run System File Checker (SFC) or chkdsk from the Recovery Console
  • Boot your Vista or Windows 7 installation DVD
  • When you see "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD", press Enter
  • At the "Language" screen hold the "Shift" key and press the F10 key to open a Command Window
  • Run SFC or chkdsk
  • For sfc, type sfc /scannow and press Enter.
  • For chkdsk, type chkdsk /r and press Enter.
Let this run to completion undisturbed..

If that doesn't help then save your data and reinstall. There are various ways of saving your data.