Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

help please

• Please log in to reply

vistasucks

vistasucks

• PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
hi all, new guy here.. :help: .i have an acer aspire 5315 running vista ( hence the username)..it has 2 32 gb hard drives ( c:/ + d:/ )...c drive is currently full and i keep getting messages to clear old files to make space...i have no idea what files i can move or delete ( all my piccies and stuff are on the other drive )..i wouldnt mind going back to "out of the box" state but have no clue how to go about it...any help or advice is greatly appreciated :thumbsup:

Advertisements

cptnshakenbake

cptnshakenbake

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
A good place to check clearing up space is your add and remove programs. If there are applications you installed but are not using any more remove them. Also delete your temp files and internet temps that will help clear space. A good command to clear temporary system files is as follows

1. Click on the start or in Vistas case the windows logo
2. In the search type %temp% then hit enter
3. In the folder that opens hold down the ctrl button and then press A to highlight all the files
4. Once all the files are highlighted hit delete

Now empty your recycling bin

Hope this helps

GryphonGuy

GryphonGuy

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Another goodie is the cleanmgr utility. Just type that in the start menu and press enter. For any more assistance, we would have to know what files are on your C: drive. "Out of box" state, may or may not help, depending on what the files are, but before you try it, know that it will almost certainly destroy your data on drive D:, so be sure to back it up. If you wish to know more about which files to delete, post a listing of the first, and an abridge listing of the second levels of your root file tree on C:

vistasucks

vistasucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
thankyou muchly. :thumbsup: ..tried both suggestions and recovered nearly 3 gb...hopefully that'll stop this infernal machine sending me stoopid messages

vistasucks

vistasucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Another goodie is the cleanmgr utility. Just type that in the start menu and press enter. For any more assistance, we would have to know what files are on your C: drive. "Out of box" state, may or may not help, depending on what the files are, but before you try it, know that it will almost certainly destroy your data on drive D:, so be sure to back it up. If you wish to know more about which files to delete, post a listing of the first, and an abridge listing of the second levels of your root file tree on C:

hi mate, sorry, but i have no idea what this means :confused: ( IF TECHNOPHOBIA WERE A RELIGION, I WOULD BE A BISHOP )..could you run that by me again, in english thickie speak or maybe some step by step instructions..many thanks :thumbsup:

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
vistasucks

Welcome to Geeks to Go

the cleanmgr is disk cleanup included on the windows operating system

there are many ways to get there.

One is as my colleague GryphoneGuy explained

Another is start - windows button
programs
accessories
system tools
disk cleanup

The out of box state is of course as you mentioned - use of the recovery partition to return the computer to the state it was in when sold - However depending on which options are available on that Acer, you will lose all programs for which you do not have the installation media and all your personal data not backed up.

I feel certain that this option is not necessary in your case on the evidence available.

Send me please a screenshot of disk management that is
Start
Control panel
Admin tools
computer management
disk management on left pane
when that window opens press the prt screen key
then go start
programs
accessories
paint and when that opens click paste or if that is not viisible right click on the white and paste
or click edit and paste

now click file and save as
on file type it will show Bitmap
change that to JPEG
now on reply click use full editor
and attach your screenshot please.

vistasucks

vistasucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
hi mate, hope this is what you wanted...it took me half an hour to do it :lol:

Attached Thumbnails

• disc managment.jpg

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Well you did well, although I do not know why it took you half an hour Go back to the same please as I cannot see the detail to the right
Do not send another screenshot in case it takes as long again

HOW much free space is shown please on the drives that is at the top window and to the right of where you have sent the shot.

Also for your information, not that it makes that much difference to you it does NOT have two hard drives.
It has one hard drive partitioned into C and D - hence disk 0 on the left

vistasucks

vistasucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
im nearly a pro at this now :lol:

Attached Thumbnails

• disc mngmnt 2.jpg

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Show off :lol: :lol: :thumbsup:

Right you are correct you have a serious problem - that drive lettered C, and because as I said it is ONE drive not two is in severe danger of crashing when it does, as it most surely will you could have problems, you may not even get back into windows.

We need to act quicly and we cannot run a utility to show me what you have on the drive, as there is no space to load it and no space for it to run

Do you have an external drive OR do you have a flash pen drive of some capacity and DO you have another computer IF you do not have an external drive

Advertisements

vistasucks

vistasucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
that dont sound too good :upset: i have a desktop pc running XP or my android phone with an 8 gig memory card...thats it im afraid :blush:

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
OK

Lets try another way

There is if we cannot do this another method but it requires running a utlity to shrink the partition lettered D and extend the partition lettered C

I would prefer NOT to try it with so little free space on C

Open C drive, that is double click on the drive in Computer - My Computer

The favourite place to look is Users, YOU or whoever and then My Documents and My Pictures - pictures are your best bet

Howe many and what space do they occupy

vistasucks

vistasucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
ok, looked at the users files and copied the ones i want to D/ and deleted them off C/ so we now have 1.7 gb to play with...does that help

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
YOU may just have jumpred ahead a little too quickly

WHAT have you moved - may I suggest that you take this a stage at a time

If you move the wrong type of files or you move the whole of a folder as a against the files in there for instance the pictures jpeg images you may well create problems and if you move any windows files or program files from C you WILL most certainly have problems

ALWAYS best, may I suggest to work at ONLY what I ask

You may of course do as you wish, but unless you KNOW what you are doing, it may not be the best idea

Please do not take that the wrong way

ALSO did you check the files you moved DO open BEFORE you deleted them

vistasucks

vistasucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
i will consider myself told off and i bow to your superior knowledge....they were only android manager picture files off my phone and theyre still on my phone so not worried if they didnt copy over..i havent touched any program files cos i dont know whats what...i shant do anything other than what you suggest from this point on and i really appreciate you taking the time helping me

vistasucks
NO PROBLEM - never meant it to be a telling off - simply warning you that jumping ahead may not be the best -
see my next post please - you are doing well

Macboatmaster