Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC Hanging, Slow to boot etc

• Please log in to reply

worldofshinty

worldofshinty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
hi thanks all for the replies tried moving jpg to d drive but it never moved is it due to d drive being a data drive?

Advertisements

worldofshinty

worldofshinty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

worldofshinty

You would indeed benefit greatly from increasing the ram as my colleague The Skeptic says

1GB is the absolute minimum for Vista Home Premium

Windows Vista system requirements
If you want to run Windows Vista on your PC, here's what it takes:

• 1 gigahertz (GHz) 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
  • 1 gigabyte (GB) of system memory (512 megabytes (MB) for Home Basic)
  • 40 GB hard drive with at least 15 GB of available space (20 GB for Home Basic)
  • Support for DirectX 9 graphics with WDDM and 128 MB of graphics memory (32 MB for Home Basic)
  • DVD-ROM drive
  • Audio Output
  • Internet access (fees may apply)
You would also benefit, again as my colleague says by having more free space on C drive.

HOWEVER there are other issues here.
You have AVG and AVAST installed - you cannot run two antivirus programs at the same time.
Not only will they slow your system down to a crawl, they will also fight each other and you may well end up with less protection - not more

YOu also have installed IOBits Advanced system care - yet again I think another anti virus of sorts is included in that program

Please be advised that the whole package of IOBits is best left OFF your computer. The only thing advanced about it - in my opinion, and may I say that of many other people,
is the ability to adversely effect the performance of the computer.

This is not something peculiar to IOBits Advanced system care it is a common aspect of software that incorporates so called registry cleaners, performance boosters and the like.

You also have IOBits Game booster - despite what IOBits may say about the program, please be assured that you cannot boost a system, that is not suitable for gaming in the first place - with any so called make it go faster - turn it into the ideal gaming machine software

See below please
1. IObit" "c:\program files\iobit\game booster 3
2 IObit" "c:\program files\iobit\advanced systemcare 5
3. IObit" "c:\windows\system32\smartdefragboottime.exe" - that one will slow down the boot see below
4. "avast! Antivirus" "AVAST Software" "c:\program files\avast software\avast\avastui.exe"
5. AVG_UI" "AVG User Interface" "AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o." "c:\program files\avg\avg2013\avgui.exe

IOBit Smart Defrag
"Boot Time Defrag" TechnologySmart Defrag 2 is using a new "Boot Time Defrag" technology which allows you to defrag disk during the system boot process, while these files cannot be defragged or are not safe to move after the system is already boot-up.

Not only is it very likely the cause of the poor performance WITH the AVAST and AVG together and the whole of the IOBit but the constant or near constant running of any defrag program is completely unnecessary

I have now deleted all apart from the Avast program thanks for the advice

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Thanks - the 1000$ question is "How is it now"

worldofshinty

worldofshinty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Thanks - the 1000$ question is "How is it now"

still sluggish, tried to move some jpg files to the D drive but nothing happened, is this due to the D drive being for Data? or am i being stupid

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Did you follow my instruction in post 9 as I do not see where you have. :confused:

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
You must move files from C to D, rebuild Page File and defrag the disk. Re adding RAM: that is strongly recommended but it involves some money that you have to spend. For your consideration.

To move files from C to D: Mark the files that you want to move. Click EDIT at the downdrop menu and then click COPY. Now open drive D, go to EDIT again and click PASTE. When you see the files on D go back to C and delete the files from C. Repeat as needed. Move as many files as you can.

worldofshinty

worldofshinty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Did you follow my instruction in post 9 as I do not see where you have. :confused:

yes i did when i ran the programme it crashed whilst finishing

worldofshinty

worldofshinty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

You must move files from C to D, rebuild Page File and defrag the disk. Re adding RAM: that is strongly recommended but it involves some money that you have to spend. For your consideration.

To move files from C to D: Mark the files that you want to move. Click EDIT at the downdrop menu and then click COPY. Now open drive D, go to EDIT again and click PASTE. When you see the files on D go back to C and delete the files from C. Repeat as needed. Move as many files as you can.

Hi COuldnt see an edit button, so have copied and paste into d, how do i rebuild page file?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I don't have vista so I'll guide you with win 7. They should be about the same.

To move data from C to D: Click the Start button and then Computer. In the side menu right-click, for example, Music. A menu will open and there you click Copy. Now double-click drive D and place the cursor in an empty space. Right-click and in the opened menu click Paste. The entire folder Music will be copied to drive D. Now go back to Music in drive C, right-click and click Delete. That will delete Music from C and will free the space it took.

If you don't want to move the entire folder but only part of it open Music, mark the files that you want to move, copy and paste as above and delete the content that you moved from Music on C.

To recreate page file. click Start, Click Control Panel > click System > click Advanced System Settings > Click Advanced in the top menu > in the Performance section click Settings > In the top menu click Advance > In Virtual Memory click Change > Uncheck the option Automatic Manage Paging File Size etc. > Check No Paging File > Click Set. You will get a warning that ask if you want to continue. Click Yes. Now you zeroed your page file. Reboot the computer.

To recreate page file: go back to Virtual Memory window and check Custom Size. In Initial Size (MB) write 3000. In Maximum Size (MB) write also 3000. Click Set and then OK. Reboot the computer.

Notes:

1: Do the above in the following steps: A) move as much data from C to D. B)Zero page file. C)defragment the drive. D) Recreate page file.

2: Please note: zeroing and recreating the page file should be done on drive C only. Do not do that on drive D.

3: I strongly recommend that you increase your RAM volume. if you don't know what to chose and how to do that go to your repair shop.

worldofshinty

worldofshinty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

I don't have vista so I'll guide you with win 7. They should be about the same.

To move data from C to D: Click the Start button and then Computer. In the side menu right-click, for example, Music. A menu will open and there you click Copy. Now double-click drive D and place the cursor in an empty space. Right-click and in the opened menu click Paste. The entire folder Music will be copied to drive D. Now go back to Music in drive C, right-click and click Delete. That will delete Music from C and will free the space it took.

If you don't want to move the entire folder but only part of it open Music, mark the files that you want to move, copy and paste as above and delete the content that you moved from Music on C.

To recreate page file. click Start, Click Control Panel > click System > click Advanced System Settings > Click Advanced in the top menu > in the Performance section click Settings > In the top menu click Advance > In Virtual Memory click Change > Uncheck the option Automatic Manage Paging File Size etc. > Check No Paging File > Click Set. You will get a warning that ask if you want to continue. Click Yes. Now you zeroed your page file. Reboot the computer.

To recreate page file: go back to Virtual Memory window and check Custom Size. In Initial Size (MB) write 3000. In Maximum Size (MB) write also 3000. Click Set and then OK. Reboot the computer.

Notes:

1: Do the above in the following steps: A) move as much data from C to D. B)Zero page file. C)defragment the drive. D) Recreate page file.

2: Please note: zeroing and recreating the page file should be done on drive C only. Do not do that on drive D.

3: I strongly recommend that you increase your RAM volume. if you don't know what to chose and how to do that go to your repair shop.

Hi thanks for this i tried a normal search for all .jpg files as kids also use desktop, it came up with a result of more than 5000, right clicked the files after selecting all, but no copy,cut or anything came up to move them and suggestions, i also tried it with just the 300 selected but nothing.

I have a couple of old pc's hanging about i be able to use the ram from them in this pc?

Shall starting zero page file, is the inbuilt defrag best to use or any better ones out there?

And once again thanks for the advice already given

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Did you use the Search tool to locate the files? Why not just browse C to find out? Moving files among folders and drives is an elementary procedure that every computer user should be familiar with. Could you ask somebody to help with that? Not much benefit in other procedures if we do not accomplish clearing space on C.

Re RAM modules from old PCs: this shouldn't be done unless they are compatible to the newer computer in all aspects. The development of memory modules is so fast that I doubt if the old ones will be compatible.

There is no harm in dealing with the page file at this stage although I would prefer clearing space first. If you go for it please defrag after zeroing but before creating the new page file.

The built-in defragmentation program is good enough, if a bit slow. You don't need anything else.

worldofshinty

worldofshinty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Did you use the Search tool to locate the files? Why not just browse C to find out? Moving files among folders and drives is an elementary procedure that every computer user should be familiar with. Could you ask somebody to help with that? Not much benefit in other procedures if we do not accomplish clearing space on C.

Re RAM modules from old PCs: this shouldn't be done unless they are compatible to the newer computer in all aspects. The development of memory modules is so fast that I doubt if the old ones will be compatible.

There is no harm in dealing with the page file at this stage although I would prefer clearing space first. If you go for it please defrag after zeroing but before creating the new page file.

The built-in defragmentation program is good enough, if a bit slow. You don't need anything else.

Ok thanks again, I have cleared space on the C now, and done page file etc browser seems to be faster now

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Thanks for letting us know.

worldofshinty

worldofshinty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Thanks for letting us know.

Hi it seems to have went back to its sluggish behaviour again, also there doesnt seem to be any space after moving files to d and also deleting about 25gb of stuff, and avg has seemed to have reinstalled it self on the pc again.

Done all the page file stuff etc etc

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
I would have ONE more attempt at uninstalling AVG - if you are sure it is the AVG anti virus you installed from AVG or purchased from them etc. This link is the removal tool
http://www.avg.com/gb-en/utilities

1. Control Panel Programs and features
AVG entries uninstall
then run the tool
IF YOU HAVE ANY DOUBT that AVG was installed by you post a sreenshot of the AVG interface when you open it OR provide the exact title of the folder.

screenshot
with the image on the desktop press the PrtScrn key once
go start programs accesssories PAINT
right click on the white area and click paste OR click edit and paste
The image will appear
Click File click Save as
File type will be Bitmap
change it to JPEG
Save it
on reply use full editor and attach the screenshot please - not an upload to some other site that I then have to open.

2. How much of the 25Gb you deleted from C and whattever amount of free space that gave you on C is NOW not free space

Edited by Macboatmaster, 28 September 2012 - 02:21 PM.