Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 frozen completely desperate for help

• Please log in to reply

ceej

ceej

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
I am using windows 7 and chrome browser . All was working fine until I stopped for lunch. After lunch went to open word doc and everything froze. Could not close it down. Unresponsive message and box suggesting I could end process or wait and see. Wait and see does not work. Clicking on end process did not end process but screen froze in opaque and task bar disappeared. Nothing worked and the only way to turn it off was via main switch. Tried to switch on again but froze as soon as screen loaded. Occasionally able to access internet but cannot move from one page to another without freezing. Still cannot access word. Windows help freezes. I scan my PC every week and nothing showed up but while typing this message I just got a box pop up to say AVG protection is switched off and asking me to run it if I trust it.Right now I trust nothing.
I am guessing my PC is infected with something nasty but I am clueless. I have not installed or downloaded anything other than the windows updates that are automatic.
My entire life is locked in my pc. I am not in the least bit technical and this has me at my wits end. PLEASE can someone help...you will need to be patient as I really am clueless.
If you got this far I thanks you.

Advertisements

GryphonGuy

GryphonGuy

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Start by pressing the F8 key after the BIOS splash screen and before you see the image that indicates that Windows is starting to boot into safe mode. You'll probably want to choose "Safe Mode with Networking" This is your opportunity to get your entire life off of that computer. After that, you should probably check out the Malware forum on this website, rather than the operating system forum.

ceej

ceej

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Thank you. Appreciate the help.